• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I posted this thought/rant on Facebook a few minutes ago.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just a random thought:

Like many in this world I like to eat meat even though I feel bad for the animals who were sacrificed for the sake of our stomachs. One thing I understand yet at the same time I don't understand is how one can become a vegan or vegetarian. I often wonder how vegans and vegetarians would make it out in the wilderness living off the land like survivalists. At some point wouldn't they have no choice but to eat meat, or would they seriously hold out just because they don't want to give in to unbearable hunger?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just a random thought:

Like many in this world I like to eat meat even though I feel bad for the animals who were sacrificed for the sake of our stomachs. One thing I understand yet at the same time I don't understand is how one can become a vegan or vegetarian. I often wonder how vegans and vegetarians would make it out in the wilderness living off the land like survivalists. At some point wouldn't they have no choice but to eat meat, or would they seriously hold out just because they don't want to give in to unbearable hunger?
When I became a vegetarian it was because I didn't like the taste of meat and nothing to do with killing animals.. Everyone is different so I am one of the exceptions to the rule as I feel most people become vegetarian or vegan for moral reasons rather than anything else... These people are often the biggest hypocrites going as they don't practice what they preach and cherry pick the bits of being a vegan they want to and just like getting on there moral high horse and judging others where a lot of the choices they make are not good for the environment either.. Just saying ;)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I was vegetarian for 10 years. Damn bacon got me in the end.....as in the smell of it cooking. I found it irresistible.
You'll get fanatics in every walk of life, and certain animal rights people can be the worst sort of hysterical shouty snowflakes

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
When I became a vegetarian it was because I didn't like the taste of meat and nothing to do with killing animals.. Everyone is different so I am one of the exceptions to the rule as I feel most people become vegetarian or vegan for moral reasons rather than anything else... These people are often the biggest hypocrites going as they don't practice what they preach and cherry pick the bits of being a vegan they want to and just like getting on there moral high horse and judging others where a lot of the choices they make are not good for the environment either.. Just saying ;)
Got to hand it to you...you just did EXACTLY what you are accusing "these people" of...when will we(myself included!) get over judging each other? What about " live and let live"? or " mind your own business"? We are all "stuck" here on this ship together - we have SO much more in common in our human condition than we do differences!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll just make 2 comments

!/ Human digestive systems were designed to digest meat primarily.
2/ Almost every long term vegetarian/vegan I have met has had problems with their digestive systems.

Soulman

I'll just make 2 comments

!/ Human digestive systems were designed to digest meat primarily.
2/ Almost every long term vegetarian/vegan I have met has had problems with their digestive systems.
Yes ,but uncooked meaty go on give it a go.that blood dripping steak

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes ,but uncooked meat,go a head give it a go plenty of blood dripping meat to pick from.

Much as I like meat I couldn't eat it raw but I don't mind pink beef and I can cope with a small amount of blood.. I suppose if it was eat raw meat or starve I'd probable force it down.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Yes ,but uncooked meat,go a head give it a go plenty of blood dripping meat to pick from.
Thats a big no go on store bought meat. I do like my steaks rare though.

I’ll absolutely eat fresh killed venison raw occasionally. Its fantastic. Also had some incredible raw Kobe beef once but that's not one of those things I can afford to eat but on a special occasion.

Soulman

Yes you have to payout for good quality meat,from a respectable outlet!Store bought maybe if you spend a little more.it's all about money and not quality and it effects us.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I understand why people go vegetarian...never got the point of veganism though. Seems to be taking animal rights an unnecessary step way too far imo.

It doesn't bother me what people choose for themselves. What really gets me upset is when people make the choice for their dependants, and give their babies & toddlers and cats & dogs the vegan diet. Then watch them slowly ebb away........

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found the following really interesting when I found it some time ago. It is about the Palaeolithic hunter gather diet.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/

I grew up in a small farming village & have killed numerous animals, both for food & to save suffering & not all with a weapon. I have snapped a neck or too as well. I despise the harming of animals for fun & spent about 15 years as a vegatarian. And for around 2 of those 15 years I also worked as an HGV driver for a slaughterhouse. I simply choose not to eat animals. I have no issues with average farming or slaughterhouse activities, although I am strongly opposed to some of the so called religious & barbaric slaughter methods & to farmers who treat animals in less than an average way.

One night when driving my truck, signwritten with the word slaughterhouse in 4 inch high letters, I was shot at as I drove down the M2. This I know for a fact as when the glass was cleaned up, the airgun pellets were found. This was at the same time as the live animal exports were being protested at Dover & another driver that night was less lucky. He got a brick through his window, lost control & hit a bridge, nearly killing him. Be vegetarian, choose life!!

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just a random thought:

You survive perfectly. All the plants and fruit around you. You will be fine...very fine!

Soulman

I used to work for an relief agency,helping world wide.some parts you can only get to by foot.In the early 80s,one destination I can not name.A group of six had to make contact with a tribe.We gave them medicines,tea blankets ect.We where all injoying each others hosper

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
if you want to know what humans evolved from and why, look at teeth. We have molars and we have incisors. Basically we eat both meat and vegetables (omnivores).
I realise we may have had a different reason to eat different things as we evolved and it's now more a lifestyle decision rather than survival.
IMHO, everyone entitled to their opinion and lifestyle choice and should not be lambasted as a result.

Soulman

Lambasted,when you get vegetarians and meat eaters at a party,what do you think is going to happen.meat is meat veg is veg.
Don't upset your self.

Latest posts