• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I never would've believed this

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This guy has done a lot of interesting things with his tarantulas.

In this case, wouldn't it be better if the palps were removed well before the molt would happen? Maybe very early premolt ???

In theory, the T would be sterile but able to survive for quite some extra time.

I assume that palps would be removed just as a bad leg is removed, right?

Essentially, you would use temperature or nitrogen to paralyze it. Then you would attach some type of clip to the palps BUT not actually remove the palps yet.

Lastly, so the T would be able to close the hemolymph valves, you would remove it after the T became fully awake assuming that it didn't drop the palps naturally.

I'd be 10x happier if I could get him to a breeder, but failing that, why not try to keep him for another year or two?

Heck, he'd be just as impressive and even larger!! ....in theory...

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why?

So he won't die an agonizing death stuck in a molt!! It takes them days to die unless you euthanize them first.

Tarantulas can drop a limb if it's defective. They can live without palps. When they are ready to molt, it goes normally.

It's major surgery to prevent a certain death later.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
None of my MMs have died stuck in a moult. They have all had a successful moult and gone on to live peacefully until their natural time has come.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Whitelightning, are you talking about a Post Ultimate moult here? Thankfully it's a rare occurrence, but yes when it does happen it's usually fatal for the male because they can't extricate their palps.

Personally, if I have a MM, I think I'd prefer to wait and should he get his palps stuck in a post ultimate molt, then I'd consider amputating to help him. I do understand your reasoning but I wouldn't fancy messing around with it chopping off body parts prior, because he may not live to have a PU moult anyway, so I'd have put him through that for nothing.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The problem with waiting to see if they get stuck is it doesnt always work out. Many of mine have bled out in just minutes trying to free themselves while I wasn't there. If was there I could give them a quick snip and then stop the bleeding. The theory is and it's still up for heated debate...tarantulas dont really feel pain.
Heres a photo of my last male that got stuck...he tried to free himself and bled out. I was only gone a hour or two and he tried to molt in that time.
20190618_183253.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
The problem with waiting to see if they get stuck is it doesnt always work out. Many of mine have bled out in just minutes trying to free themselves while I wasn't there. If was there I could give them a quick snip and then stop the bleeding. The theory is and it's still up for heated debate...tarantulas dont really feel pain.
Heres a photo of my last male that got stuck...he tried to free himself and bled out. I was only gone a hour or two and he tried to molt in that time.View attachment 40330

Oh boy, poor little guy. I've seen another pic of a MM PU moult and when I first saw it, I assumed a cricket had been left in and chewed on it, because it's abdomen had opened up and bled out. Nasty.

So after coming home to that, and seeing it happen on other occasions too, what are your thoughts on pedipalp removal? When or if it should be done?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh boy, poor little guy. I've seen another pic of a MM PU moult and when I first saw it, I assumed a cricket had been left in and chewed on it, because it's abdomen had opened up and bled out. Nasty.

So after coming home to that, and seeing it happen on other occasions too, what are your thoughts on pedipalp removal? When or if it should be done?
I wouldnt hesitate to remove his pedipalps if he were stuck...I wouldnt attempt it until it was a last resort though. On a rare occasion they do survive on their own.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've heard, they always get stuck on the palps, not if just when. Therefore if you want to save the male, the only question is whether to wait for a crisis and then react or to prevent it ahead of time.

The problem is that he could molt while I'm at work.

Of course, if you remove them & he never actually tried to molt again, that's not necessarily fatal either.

Does anyone know the guy who made that original video? I hate to bother him but still....

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As it's quite rare for an MM to have another moult after maturity I don't see any point in doing such a thing, far better to find him a lady and let him die doing what nature intended

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
From what I've heard, they always get stuck on the palps, not if just when. Therefore if you want to save the male, the only question is whether to wait for a crisis and then react or to prevent it ahead of time.

The problem is that he could molt while I'm at work.

Of course, if you remove them & he never actually tried to molt again, that's not necessarily fatal either.

Does anyone know the guy who made that original video? I hate to bother him but still....

I don't think he's very active in the hobby now because he only seems to post occasional music videos these days. He's not advocating general MM pedipalp removal, this video (for those who havent seen it) is about him acting to save his MM already stuck in a PU moult. The male was already naturally immobilised so there would have been no risk of a bite.

I think if I was in the same situation I would have to try to fight for him, as I couldn't bear to see him stuck and bleeding out. I pity anyone having to deal with that. Nature is so cruel at times.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
PS I know you're trying to prevent future suffering with this line of action, you seem to be a very logical person and when you see a potential risk you want to act to mitigate it, am I right?

My thinking, is that post ultimate moults are extremely rare, plus taking away a male tarantulas pedipalps are going to make life more difficult and less enjoyable for it. They use them for grasping prey, and they help them to make sense of their environment, plus it's his manhood so that's a castration!! Would you like someone to chop your ......lol lol :D:D just teasing!!:)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I wonder what happened to him.

Not sure but the links on his YouTube to his other T-related accounts are either expired or haven't been updated for years. He's seems to be really into his music now though. I bet if you did a good google search you could find him on Facebook. I bet he has got new accounts more focused on his music producing interests.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
PS I know you're trying to prevent future suffering with this line of action, you seem to be a very logical person and when you see a potential risk you want to act to mitigate it, am I right?

My thinking, is that post ultimate moults are extremely rare, plus taking away a male tarantulas pedipalps are going to make life more difficult and less enjoyable for it. They use them for grasping prey, and they help them to make sense of their environment, plus it's his manhood so that's a castration!! Would you like someone to chop your ......lol lol :D:D just teasing!!:)

I'd rather find a breeder who could use him but do far no one seems interested. Is this species the B vagens of Pamphobetous?

I'll keep looking for a breeder for now. Heck, I'm not even asking for 50/50 on any slings!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'd rather find a breeder who could use him but do far no one seems interested. Is this species the B vagens of Pamphobetous?

I'll keep looking for a breeder for now. Heck, I'm not even asking for 50/50 on any slings!!

Is it your P machala you are having trouble with? I'm afraid its not much of a lead but there's a year old thread on here, link below, that on the bottom of Page 1 gives details of someone who had a MM P machala having their details passed to someone with a female. May be worth looking these people up in case they can help.

https://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/ts-for-sale-loan.21305/page-1

Have you tried Fear not Tarantulas? They have P machala slings so may be wanting another MM to breed again.

Latest posts