• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need validation....

Nurse Ratchet

I impulse/emotionally-driven bought a tarantula....or two...
I started researching It's in late August and bought my first in the beginning of November. I put a juvenile T. Vagans from a local breeder and got hooked with plans to wait a month between adding another with full intent to purchase local (to avoid shipping) and CB only. There are only three more I was currently hoping to obtain; a T. albopilosus, A. avicularia, and a GBB. While at pet store chain I came across an A. avicularia for $25 in world's smallest cricket keeper. She's (I assume female until proven otherwise) is just over 1.25 inches. They couldn't tell me where she came from, when she molted, when she ate, just that she a "pink toe" so I brought her home to love and breaking my CB only rule since they didn't know.
Six days later at a different pet chain store while picking up some really tiny crickets I came across a 3 inch GBB on a 1/2 inch of substrate, a log cave, no water dish with no webbing. I asked the clerk if it was new since no web. Nope, been there a few months. They knock down any webbing daily so customers can see the tarantula. I asked about the substrate. Nope, can't add any more, the tarantula might burrow then people couldn't see it. They did not share my point of view that the treatment of the T was far from ideal. Said they were following managements orders. They also did not know age,ast molt, gender, last meal, or if CB vs WC. So instead of boycotting the place right then and leaving the poor thing there to be miserable, I kinda bought it too. And a 12x12x15 enclosure... I will start my boycott now.
I wasn't planning on another until January. Was it wrong to buy it? I'm not going back, but in my attempt to "rescue" this baby, I essentially contributed to the problem! Put me down or tell me it's ok. No one I know thinks a tarantula should even be a pet, so they don't get the frustration I felt at the poor husbandry and daily web destruction...

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It's all relative, but I do think you made a good choice. As long as you are happy and the T is good.

It's a difficult situation. You certainly are improving the tarantula's life, but at the same time opening the door for that pet store to buy more to sell. Maybe not.

And I understand the store wanting to have something for customers to see. I don't think anyone would buy it sight unseen, unless the store had a strong reputation.

Enjoy your new harry friend.

Nurse Ratchet

It's all relative, but I do think you made a good choice. As long as you are happy and the T is good.

It's a difficult situation. You certainly are improving the tarantula's life, but at the same time opening the door for that pet store to buy more to sell. Maybe not.

And I understand the store wanting to have something for customers to see. I don't think anyone would buy it sight unseen, unless the store had a strong reputation.

Enjoy your new harry friend.
Thank you Dusty D. I gave the GBB biggest cricket I could find. She's so fast! She grabbed it and twerked around her enclosure for 30min carrying it around. I woke to find the back corner of her home nicely webbed up with her perched on top looking proud. I still have some guilt, but she looks so darn cute and relaxed now. It may not have been the right choice, but she will certainly have a better life now.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations on your new additions. Honestly Gbbs don't need substrate at all, they don't use it. However tearing down it's webbing to me is more cruel. Curious why your so anti wild caught?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always feel guilty when I have to tear web while opening the enclosure to feed/water cos the T has webbed on the door.
Dont feel bad. They have a unlimited supply of silk. You however aren't totally ripping everything out. Eventually the spider will stop webbing up the door though.

Nurse Ratchet

Congratulations on your new additions. Honestly Gbbs don't need substrate at all, they don't use it. However tearing down it's webbing to me is more cruel. Curious why your so anti wild caught?
I'm ok with WC for breeding purposes, like catch and release if possible. The thought of removing something from it's natural habitat simply so I can enjoy it as a pet doesn't sit right with me. I'm not a breeder, I'm totally new to T's in general, so if I took something WC, I would essentially be contributing to depleting an already depleted wild population. I'm more of a conservationist.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm ok with WC for breeding purposes, like catch and release if possible. The thought of removing something from it's natural habitat simply so I can enjoy it as a pet doesn't sit right with me. I'm not a breeder, I'm totally new to T's in general, so if I took something WC, I would essentially be contributing to depleting an already depleted wild population. I'm more of a conservationist.
All three of the species you purchased are still imported in the pet trade. Since you purchased them from a pet shop they are almost guaranteed WC. If you want captive bred spiders you need to look for local breeders in forum groups and a few recommended online sites.
Most North American species of Tliltocatl, Brachypelma and Alphonopelma are still wild caught. There are some captive bred out there though.
Wild caught tarantulas need to enter the hobby though. Even though what your saying makes alot of sense the majority of the world doesn't feel the same way. People in general hate all things spiders. It's sad but many don't feel the same way we do. I own 14 species of Poecilotheria that are endangered or basically extinct in the wild. It's not because of the pet trade either. Deforestation and population growth is the main reason. They don't care about the spiders nor do they want them bred and reintroduced. The hobby is keeping these species in existence. My take is, if I can breed WC spiders and release them into the hobby I think it's better then not having them at all.
Conservation doesn't exist for spiders. Its sad but true.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Well put and reasoned Arachnoclown. I too see the importance of WC tarantulas in the hobby, but worry about depleting numbers in the wild, particularly in light of dwindling habitats.

I know Chile has instituted bans on exports of Ts, but have wondered whether they have any breeding programs in place. It could be of economic and environmental benefit I think to them as well as to the hobby. Maybe other breeding programs in other countries work with Chile. I don't know.

Nurse Ratchet

I did purchase my T. vagans from a local breeder, Pinchers and Pokies. They offer a few WC, but mostly CB slings. I hope to eventually add a T. albopilosus from them. I agree with you both, WC definitely has it's place in the hobby and is actually necessary, but not for someone like me. I don't frown upon WC purchased on the whole, but I'll leave those to the experienced breeders who can help keep the species going. I think a conservation program would be amazing. I've seen a few YouTube videos of a gentleman in CA who captures, breeds, and releases and was very impressed. I wish it was more popular.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
I've just started in the hobby recently and have seen very similar with an A. avicularia and a T. albopilosus. The Avic was in a cricket keeper and the Curly Hair was in a setup with no substrate surrounded by crickets (live and dead) and was in a death curl. I don't know how much help it does, but the writing to the higher ups of a chain may get something changed, especially if it's an individual store in the chain doing these things. Most of the chain pet shops have some form of standards towards the treatment of the animals for sale, and maybe concerned about the well being of all of the animals available if the individual manager of the shop is putting more effort into how the animals present than how well they're kept.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is that true?
As long as they're eating/replenishing proteins.
giphy-6.gif