• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I NEED HELP!!! (not eating)

Domagoj

Hello guys im new to this business in keeping tarantulas.
For my first one ever I got a Poecilotheria metallica (gender unknown)
She/he had 3 changes of his skin so far. I have her for two month so far and she/he still hasnt ate.
I tried giving her superworms or ****roaches and still nothing she/he is scared of the bugs i drop him and runs away.
Please can you give me some advice or something on how to make her/him start to eat.

Last edited:
E

ExMember

Greetings and welcome to tf. Sounds like premoult behavior. Not sure if pokies fast like rosies as I don't keep them but I would suspect a moult soon :) has it eaten at all in between the "skin changes"?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have you tried it on crickets? I find my P. met prefers smaller food items.

Domagoj

Greetings and welcome to tf. Sounds like premoult behavior. Not sure if pokies fast like rosies as I don't keep them but I would suspect a moult soon :) has it eaten at all in between the "skin changes"?
it has eaten ****roaches or crickets before i bought it and since then i didnt saw her eat at all whenever i throw her food she keeps runing away ... soo it could be a moult soon i know that they arent eating when they are preparing but 2 months are alot or arent soo idk ... thanks anyways

Domagoj

Have you tried it on crickets? I find my P. met prefers smaller food items.
i didnt ... but i give her ****roaches 3 times smaller then her/him and keeps doing the same thing thats why im worried ... i taught the food was to big and tried smaller still the same thing

E

ExMember

Not sure about poecilotheria but most tarantulas can go a long time without food. Longest I have heard was a Grammastola rosea going 18 months in between meals. Just make sure they have access to water.

Since it is new it could also be adjusting to a new setup/environment.

Domagoj

Not sure about poecilotheria but most tarantulas can go a long time without food. Longest I have heard was a Grammastola rosea going 18 months in between meals. Just make sure they have access to water.

Since it is new it could also be adjusting to a new setup/environment.
hmm maybe... i didnt put a water cup for her/him i spray his enclosure with water every now and then ... but i can put a bottle cap if its necesery and she is very energetic soo she/he isnt sick

E

ExMember

hmm maybe... i didnt put a water cup for her/him i spray his enclosure with water every now and then ... but i can put a bottle cap if its necesery and she is very energetic soo she/he isnt sick
Sounds like the pokie may be just calming down. I don't know what your setup is but they should also have a cork tube hide. That provides a secure area that the t can retreat to if it feels threatened.

Domagoj

Sounds like the pokie may be just calming down. I don't know what your setup is but they should also have a cork tube hide. That provides a secure area that the t can retreat to if it feels threatened.
Hmm didnt think about that ... i made an arboreal enclosure for him whit branches and a littlr supstrate but he dug a little hole in between the branches and runs down there when hes scared.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ye i know it is but he just too small for a water dish
He is inch and a half maybe ... but how do i tell if hes a male or a female?
At a inch and a half it's unlikely you will be able to tell the sex so at least you can rule out that it's a mature male :)
No T is too small for a water dish you can easily give it a bottle cap - Ts can't drown in there water dishes much better to offer water than risk losing the T to dehydration

E

ExMember

Ye i know it is but he just too small for a water dish
He is inch and a half maybe ... but how do i tell if hes a male or a female?
Poecilotheria are sexually dimorphic (males and females look different). I'll take a look around and see if I can find an article or pics. The t might be too young though.

Domagoj

Poecilotheria are sexually dimorphic (males and females look different). I'll take a look around and see if I can find an article or pics. The t might be too young though.
Damn thanks ... i was just trying to feed her anf she bolted out ... and i took a picture of her or.him to see ...

Domagoj

At a inch and a half it's unlikely you will be able to tell the sex so at least you can rule out that it's a mature male :)
No T is too small for a water dish you can easily give it a bottle cap - Ts can't drown in there water dishes much better to offer water than risk losing the T to dehydration
Hope shes a female tho.. and yea ill get her a bottle cap .. thanks man

Domagoj

Attachments

• 20200325_165651.jpg
    20200325_165651.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 15
E

ExMember

Damn thanks ... i was just trying to feed her anf she bolted out ... and i took a picture of her or.him to see ...

After looking around it appears there is very little difference between males and females in the metallica species untill they mature.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
tagging @regalis as she likes a good pokie and may have some insight but as other have said, a water dish is a must. Pokies are also very light sensitive so if in a bright area, they will naturally want to hide and run away from the light. Try and have him/her in a darker area to settle down.