• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I might have screwed up (Molting)

TwinkleToes19

Newbie here with my juvie T. Albo, Turns out when I got her she was in pre molt. I couldn't tell since there was no bald spots and other signs such as not eating I brushed off as her getting used to her new enclosure since it hasn't even been a week since I had gotten her. I dropped a cricket in bc it was about time to try and feed her, and when I checked tonight she started molting and the cricket was nowhere to be seen. Fearing the worst, I checked under her hide gently where she was molting and the cricket was no where to be found so it was probably eaten or dead. However, apparently her web bed was attached to the hide so when I lifted it I ended up tilting her a little. I'm scared I may have just wrote a death sentence for her. I've learned my lesson, but I hope not the hard way.

TwinkleToes19

Newbie here with my juvie T. Albo, Turns out when I got her she was in pre molt. I couldn't tell since there was no bald spots and other signs such as not eating I brushed off as her getting used to her new enclosure since it hasn't even been a week since I had gotten her. I dropped a cricket in bc it was about time to try and feed her, and when I checked tonight she started molting and the cricket was nowhere to be seen. Fearing the worst, I checked under her hide gently where she was molting and the cricket was no where to be found so it was probably eaten or dead. However, apparently her web bed was attached to the hide so when I lifted it I ended up tilting her a little. I'm scared I may have just wrote a death sentence for her. I've learned my lesson, but I hope not the hard way.
I'd also like to ask when I should check on her to see if she's done molting, to make sure she isn't dead after my mess up, and what advice in general on what to do now.

TwinkleToes19

Update 2: She's done molting and is chilling on her back resting. I'm not seeing any deformities, I stayed up all night to make sure she didn't have any complications.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Well that is good news.

For now, let it be for awhile. Make sure there is water available. Don’t feed it until the fangs harden and turn black. It can be difficult to determine that sometimes so maybe wait a week to 10 days before feeding, depending on size/ age of the T.

Any pics?

TwinkleToes19

Well that is good news.

For now, let it be for awhile. Make sure there is water available. Don’t feed it until the fangs harden and turn black. It can be difficult to determine that sometimes so maybe wait a week to 10 days before feeding, depending on size/ age of the T.

Any pics?
Understood, also I'd love to take pics but she's on her hide currently and so is her molt. She's on her feet now, but I should probably wait for her to leave her hide so I can get her molt out of the enclosure.

TwinkleToes19

Sorry not to have seen your cry for help sooner.
These guys must get disturbed at times in the wild during a moult and stll manage to complete it.
I'm glad to hear all went well in the end.
It's all good, I got all worked up for nothing. The ironic thing is I remembered way later I removed the cricket awhile back bc I realized she wasn't hungry. I have learned a lot this past week of owning my T. Albo. I'm just excited to finally sex her once I have access to her molt.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
It's all good, I got all worked up for nothing. The ironic thing is I remembered way later I removed the cricket awhile back bc I realized she wasn't hungry. I have learned a lot this past week of owning my T. Albo. I'm just excited to finally sex her once I have access to her molt.
Even in their most vulnerable state, tarantulas tend to be tougher than they look. Not saying you should disturb them deliberately, but there is a reason tarantulas are so successful in the wild. Compared to captivity, nature is deadly and ruthless in a different way than we humans generally understand. I'm pretty sure most of us are quite nervous when a tarantula molts (myself included) and it takes time to turn that worry down to a manageable level. The hardest part is to have self control. Remember, we all make mistakes and that's ok. It's what you learn from those mistakes that counts
Btw Fingers crossed she's a female

TwinkleToes19

Molt was too messed up to be able to sex her, but I got a picture of her at least.

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_081142191.jpg
    IMG_20230317_081142191.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15

Salatia

Re. Realising you removed the cricket - it's very handy to have a note of when you feed a T, whether they catch their dinner there and then or not, signs they've fed like seeing them make the catch/removing the bolus/remains of the prey you fed that time (which doesn't necessarily mean it was that feeder, if you have a T who likes to stash their rubbish and only occasionally chucks some out, but its information!), and if (and maybe when) you decide to remove a living feeder. It provides patterns to follow, and helps in these situations!

Glad they came out okay! I wouldn't be surprised if tarantulas without existing molt complications are pretty resilient when molting - barring extremes. Thing is a lot of potential complications are things we cant easily see, so it's likely easier to assume that any messing could be the difference between then making it or not. There are tonnes of occasions where they've survived through complicated molts, sometimes with eventual assistance, but it's very possible that wouldn't have happened had they been disturbed etc. early on. We are working blind to a point, so it's best to be as hands off as possible and leave them to what they've been managing successfully for a very long time. There are still very limited occasions that we can be of help - it's useful to know when those are, still, but otherwise we need to trust them.

On the other side, don't trust any feeder with mouth parts that can harm a T, and look at effective ways of mitigating this. Some crush the head, as the body will still move for a time on many insects. This can cost more feeders in the long run if it is ignored and then the T shows signs of interest in food after remains are removed/won't scavenge but in most cases it's fine to wait until you would otherwise next feed anyway. At the start, it's very easy to see a 'hungry' T and respond to it, even for those of us who are used to limiting their mammalian pet's food. But I've learned that for some that's a very good way to result in a long fast - which is way more anxiety causing that me telling them they've got a fat rear and don't need any food today, or feeding but making a note to push their next likely feed back a bit.

Sorry that was a lot!

Latest posts