• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I just want to share something

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had the privilege to help two people so far, this is just sharing one of the two stories. He had arachnophobia, so he got to see my specimens and even saw their daily things they do. He saw they weren't as vicious as people make them out to be,where I blame the media the most. After a while he himself acquired his first specimens, so already a huge step in my opinion. To make a long story short,he got himself a common Avic Avic,after receiving it he then took advice from a local pet store. Sad to say,he got another one a Avic Versi color and again took advice from them about the husbandry. A week and a half ago,probably the saddest day a hobbyist could have his Avic passed. I then intervened and suggested a new path of caring for them, I'm glad to report all his Avics he had and acquired again a day a go are very healthy and doing well. I will make a few points now,and share my views.
- Pet shop advice stay away,unless you know this person is capable
- research your specimen if you have no one to assist
- Never feel stupid or shy to ask
I was blessed by being able to help, I know it was twice I have had this chance its not a huge difference but I feel a gift. Through my time learning from people, I could actually give back to someone. I will really learn more,so I can share more which others have taught me and through my own experimenting. I feel no new person to the hobby should go through losing a T,also people shouldn't exploit a new person for financial gain.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
We in the hobby have great power to change people's perceptions.
Through the Spider Club of SA and privately, I have been involved in 50+ public demonstrations at schools, shows and shopping centers. Being able to educate people gives them a greater knowledge and understanding of these misunderstood creatures. Also being able to change children's perceptions from what they have learnt from their parents is a great way to start the change in attitude.

"Knowledge drives out fear"

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We in the hobby have great power to change people's perceptions.
Through the Spider Club of SA and privately, I have been involved in 50+ public demonstrations at schools, shows and shopping centers. Being able to educate people gives them a greater knowledge and understanding of these misunderstood creatures. Also being able to change children's perceptions from what they have learnt from their parents is a great way to start the change in attitude.

"Knowledge drives out fear"

Well,all I can say is helping gives a great feeling. Even like you've said 50 demonstrations,or like me two people have been touched. That's not the full scope of it,since those two know others and those people at the 50+ demonstrations know others. So in fact, its a larger number affected and touched. I think the youth is this hobbies future,hope I may be blessed to help more.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Every person that gets introduced is a huge win.
And once you get more into the breeding of tarantulas and are able to sell them at good prices to new hobbyists, or give a freebie or 2 away, then you really start getting the next generation interested. :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Every person that gets introduced is a huge win.
And once you get more into the breeding of tarantulas and are able to sell them at good prices to new hobbyists, or give a freebie or 2 away, then you really start getting the next generation interested. :)

Well through misguidance I believe many are lost, but hopefully as we grow as a hobby those numbers decrease. Sadly which I believe to be true,a new persons first stop is a pet shop. That's where the biggest problem lies,and the perception they are given by media etc. Even if I can help 1 a year I'd be happy, it would be selfish of me not to share what I've learned. Hope to tell many more stories like the above one.

Latest posts