• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I just had my first problem with a member. Opinions please.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just had a situation with a board member here and would like to get some opinions on it

so here's the situation:

a few months ago, I offered a board member some free tarantulas. We spoke on the phone, and later met up, and he went home with a number of free slings. (I've done this for a number of local board members)

some time later; I sent this particular board member a text telling them that I had some Red Knees available. The Board member asked for a price; I gave them a price and he said ok. 3 days pass with no contact. Then the board member texts me saying that they had some un-forseen circumstances come up, and would not be able to buy the red knee. I replied with "I wish you would have told me sooner as I've been holding these for you, and could have sold them already. It's all good, just give me a heads up next time."

Yesterday; I received a text at 9:30 am, asking if I had any slings for sale. I said yes and gave them a list.
Then the board member asked if I could take a paypal payment, I said sure. They stated that they would decide what they wanted, and then pay me via paypal, before coming to pick up the slings. One of the species that the board member selected was in my opinion, a little above their keeping level so I asked that they call me.

Hours pass. I send this text "whats going on?" and I get this reply "My phones dead, I'll be home in a half hour"
I ask "what does that mean in regards to our deal" a few hours pass and I ask "Can you let me know if this is Happening today or not?" No response.
This morning I send a text "what happend yesterday?" and this is the reply I got. "I got busy, my life doesnt revolve around you sorry pal".

So I ended the coversation with "Ok then, All I wanted was a heads up, you know, common courtesy, maybe a "Hey I can't make it". Needless to say, I won't be doing business with you in the future."

So, I'm not out any slings, the board member is not out any money. I just have a bad taste in my mouth; and wonder if the community thinks this warrents me outing the board member as an unreliable buyer, as a warning to other members?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like just a missed connection that maybe could've been handled a little better than it was. I wouldn't take it personally. Just try to put it behind you

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're too generous and that never pays. If you gave slings away last time the person probably thought its not that important to you if you sold them or not. Not dissing you at all as I like the way you encourage people to buy different species and you are honest with people but whoever it was is probably a but forgetful ( I'm quite scatty, I remember everything about all my animals past and present but always forgetting my nieces and nephews birthdays etc .)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well honestly HQ, It really isn't important to me whether I sell them or not. I have no problem keeping them, My main issue was the complete lack of respect ( all they had to do was answer a text) that they gave me, especially after I had treated them well in the past. And the icing on the cake was the rude reply when I asked what had happened. That's where I'm having trouble. It's mostly with how (poorly) this member conducted themselves.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeh, just took for granted you would wait around wondering what was happening. Its bad mannered but some people just don't think.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree that it was rude and disrespectful, BUT could have been a matter of circumstances. However, since I THINK I know who you are referring to I am going with the former....

Richard Ray

3 Year Member
I'm gonna pipe in here, Kenny to be honest the person knows who they are and now they know the odds are you'll never do business with them again. So I don't see a reason to call them out on the boards, Even being as rude as this was to you. If it happened me I'd just let it go, but not offer to do business with them again.
My Dad use to say "Choose the bridges you burn carefully, once you burn it you can never cross it again..."

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am currently involved in a fundraiser, and the amount of people who don't get back to you, or promise to do something and then flake on it has astounded me. I'm completely with you that common courtesy shouldn't be that much to ask for. It's frustrating when you put your own things on hold to help someone and then they drop the ball. I would be miffed about that too. I mean I understand that things come up, but it really takes very little time to send a text or make a phone call just to let the other party know there's been a change in plan.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm gonna pipe in here, Kenny to be honest the person knows who they are and now they know the odds are you'll never do business with them again. So I don't see a reason to call them out on the boards, Even being as rude as this was to you. If it happened me I'd just let it go, but not offer to do business with them again.
My Dad use to say "Choose the bridges you burn carefully, once you burn it you can never cross it again..."
I think this is pretty sound advice :)

Atx13

3 Year Member
Sorry someone wasted your time, Kenny.. You'll have that happen.. At least you didn't front him spiders or something, and get burnt... Had that happen to me some years back.

Pawandinverts

3 Year Member
I hate to say but I am the total different than that guy.
I send a little to many messages to the person I am going to do business with.
I just want to make sure everything is going to be good. :)

Latest posts