• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have an enclosure question

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I moved my sling to a small kritter keeper. Is it too big? The little guy is sitting on the top edge of the hide.
image.jpeg

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I probably wouldn't have put it in something so big but I doubt it is "too big". The substrate looks potentially too moist. What species is that?

It can take a long time for a tarantula to settle so don't be concerned that it is still on the top of the hide.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
It is a B. Emilia. I turned the light off in the room and went back in a few minutes later and he was down in the hide.
The substrate is a little damp. I hydrated it about a week ago and squeezed the water out. Then put it in a plastic bowl without a lid.

timc

3 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about it being too big but more substrate would probably be good. It looks like a long way for a spider to fall, especially a brachypelma that is stocky to begin with and can get nice and fat before a molt.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
most Brachypelma spices will stick to the side of there enclosures if the substrate is to wet ! as for the enclosure size it should do u abought 3 molts
or so ! ( at least) but u will have to up grade at some point, (just as a guide for enclosure size 2 x leg span (W) 3 x leg span (L) hight is up to u :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
most Brachypelma spices will stick to the side of there enclosures if the substrate is to wet ! as for the enclosure size it should do u abought 3 molts
or so ! ( at least) but u will have to up grade at some point, (just as a guide for enclosure size 2 x leg span (W) 3 x leg span (L) hight is up to u :)
I do 3x dls for width. Unless your getting a custom enclosure made the length doesn't matter. Kritter keepers are 2.5x width for the length if I remember right. Height is a concern, you don't want them to fall more than their leg span, preferably not at all.

That substrate does look really moist still. You can help dry it out by sprinkling some dry sub on top. Just a thin layer to absorb some of that top level moisture and get the emilia of the wall. Had to do that with mine also. They seem to be the driest of the Brachy's

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
image.jpeg
I do 3x dls for width. Unless your getting a custom enclosure made the length doesn't matter. Kritter keepers are 2.5x width for the length if I remember right. Height is a concern, you don't want them to fall more than their leg span, preferably not at all.

That substrate does look really moist still. You can help dry it out by sprinkling some dry sub on top. Just a thin layer to absorb some of that top level moisture and get the emilia of the wall. Had to do that with mine also. They seem to be the driest of the Brachy's

Thanks for all the advice. The dust rate has dried out more and he/she really seems to dig the new dry enclosure. I have more substrate drying to fill the box more to take away several inches of height. Oh and I think this thing is half gopher. Been a busy little T for sure.
image.jpeg

Latest posts