• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I hate mites.......

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
…...but at least I got to photograph a couple of burrowers that I don't normally see.
They were just those little white mites that appear when the substrate gets too wet but it was easier to rehouse onto dry sub that to wait until the old stuff dried out. All 4 of these Ts either web their water bowl, fill them with sub or tip them over.

Gao, the Hysterocrates sp Hercules was being stubborn, a nudge with the brush had no effect whatsoever. Once in its new home it began digging immediately.
DSCF8483.JPG

DSCF8489.JPG

Chad, Hysterocrates gigas
DSCF8486.JPG

Putani, Thrixopelma pruriens
DSCF8491.JPG

Orinoco, Dolichothele exilis
DSCF8487.JPG

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
…...but at least I got to photograph a couple of burrowers that I don't normally see.
They were just those little white mites that appear when the substrate gets too wet but it was easier to rehouse onto dry sub that to wait until the old stuff dried out. All 4 of these Ts either web their water bowl, fill them with sub or tip them over.

Gao, the Hysterocrates sp Hercules was being stubborn, a nudge with the brush had no effect whatsoever. Once in its new home it began digging immediately.View attachment 34674
View attachment 34675
Chad, Hysterocrates gigas
View attachment 34676
Putani, Thrixopelma pruriens
View attachment 34677
Orinoco, Dolichothele exilis
View attachment 34678
lovely pics of your Ts @Enn49 mites are a pain in the butt,no 100% way of stopping them for sure ;-( we try our very best though....

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
don't mention snake mites lol only thing is with the snakes they can be sprayed and treated-no such thing for our Ts :)

Major 78

I've heard mites can be a pain in the a**!!! I've kept hundred of inverts now, luckily never had them. Probably cause my apartment douses the yard with insecticides every few months haha. Not bringing any inverts out there!

I have... A HIGHLY theoretical solution to ANYONES mite problem. It's an old antkeepers trick, @Dave Jay knows what I'm talking about. It's called... Lemon Therapy. Essentially you put a lemon (take of the shell/skin since that is where stores spray insecticides) into your tarantulas enclosure. Do not put in water bowl or in hide, just in the foraging area. Put several slices. Not like slices of an apple shape, but like the circle slices you do with cucumbers. I'm fairly sure this would work with most citrus fruits, but I can't be certain without several tests and trials. Once lemon is placed, let it sit without moving it for a few days, during this period it is optional to remove your T from his or her enclosure in the mean time. DO NOT let it rot OR mold. As son as that happens, replace the slice with a fresh one. Continue UNTILL mites are gone. If it doesn't work in 4 days then give up on this and try something new. Good luck!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What a strange place to flip! Anywhere goes I suppose...:)

Its water bowl in the old container was completely webbed over and it would sit there most of the time so I'm guessing the moult was to close for it to have time to web so just flipped there anyway. I hope it's finished in time for me to fill that bowl before bedtime :)

Latest posts