• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I finally got my first "T"!

Kuuvang

Well i finally got a T, a curly hair tarantula. Im still excited to pick up some stuff from the expo im going to in july!

The old owner say they feed medium size crickets, but can I do medium size dubia roachs? I hate crickets :l
20190622_145923.jpg

Attachments

• 20190622_145921.jpg
    20190622_145921.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5

MrKrowe

I hate crickets too. Any food that’s smaller, or roughly the same size as the cephalothorax of your spider should be fine. If you don’t know what the cephalothorax is then look it up.

B.albopilosum is an enthusiastic eater and will usually take on prey that is larger than you would expect, but better to feed smaller things more often than to worry your spider with something giant in its enclosure.

BTW, great choice. Probably the most underrated spider in Spiderdom.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Every Brachyopelma I have has been wonderful generally speaking. They are among the most tidy will behaved ones in my collection.

If you do small slings, you might get the occasional one that simply fails to thrive but in general most are fine.

I may yet get a curly hair myself at some point. Currently I have 1 B hamorii and 3 b sabolsum slings.

By the way, personality varies between them more then you'd expect.

Kuuvang

So guys, i ran into a problem?

The old owner said he feed the tarantula two times a week. And she refuse to eat today.

Is it in pre-molt? I just realize that she has a bald spot with color. She has been very lazy and slow, but assume that just curly hair behavior. I accidentally destroyed its web nest because the dubia roach got stuck. :(

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20190624_123400.jpg
    20190624_123400.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20190624_123407.jpg
    20190624_123407.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 11

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
See how the skin is white in the bald spot? That would be dark in premolt. Really dark. She's kicked some hair in her enclosure, its common for spiders to do this, its just a settling in, home defense move. She's fine, she just aint hungry. It happens all the time:)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So guys, i ran into a problem?

The old owner said he feed the tarantula two times a week. And she refuse to eat today.

Is it in pre-molt? I just realize that she has a bald spot with color. She has been very lazy and slow, but assume that just curly hair behavior. I accidentally destroyed its web nest because the dubia roach got stuck. :(

Any ideas?
Twice a week? Judging by the pictures, one feeding a week or even every other week would suffice.

Latest posts