• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I can't wait it to be spring to temporarily ease my hunger for Ts

Nunua

3 Year Member
As some of you know, I got my genic approx. a month ago. She will always be the special one for me as she is the first one I've ever had, but my hunger for more Ts is strong :T: I want to see different behaviours, different colours, different enclosures... I want to learn from several individuals! Oh yes the sweet addiction has begun.

I have browsed through vendors and the only thing holding me back for now is the fact that we've had very low temperatures even in southern Finland (-27 C / -16,5 F). I've been talking to Enn and she was talking about the possibility to use couriers when ordering from few places, but unfortunately I don't have the same option. Darn. :rolleyes:
But now I checked out the newest weather forecasts and it seems that in the end of March we finally may have warm enough for vendors to ship. Aww yeah!

My mom and bf were both like "Eh... Really... But, you have one already? Just live with it at least for a year or so." I'm pretty sure they will never understand the addiction :D

Any suggestions? I've been planning to get a Brachypelma (not sure which one though. Maybe vagans, but I love them all), GBB and an Avic (again, not completely sure which one). If I get very adventurous, I may even order a Beginner Mystery Box. o_O I also need to realize that I don't have very much money at this point of my life, so I can't order all the Ts now :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd go with @Shampain on getting an OBT . My first T was a juvenile OBT and knowing what their reputation was I was always wary but she never gave me any problems (she's in my avatar). Sadly she died last year but I now have a sling to grow on.
Other good ones are G. pulchra or E.sp Red (patience needed though, they are very slow growing) and one I love is the dwarf Ami sp Panama (easy to care for and very placid)

Nunua

3 Year Member
Getting an OBT is very interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I'm mentally ready for that just yet.
I'm not scared of their reputation as "Orange Bitey Things", but I'm worried about their bursting speed. I tend to flinch relatively hard when something very fast and unexpected happens, so my biggest fear is that I'd panic and actually hurt the T when trying to prevent it from escaping. Then again we can argue if a speedy bolt is unexpected at all from an OBT :D

I keep this in mind, but really won't order an OBT as long as there is even a small remnant of hesitation. Also, I just said in another thread that I do not recommend an OW in the bunch of the first Ts :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As some of you know, I got my genic approx. a month ago. She will always be the special one for me as she is the first one I've ever had, but my hunger for more Ts is strong :T: I want to see different behaviours, different colours, different enclosures... I want to learn from several individuals! Oh yes the sweet addiction has begun.

I have browsed through vendors and the only thing holding me back for now is the fact that we've had very low temperatures even in southern Finland (-27 C / -16,5 F). I've been talking to Enn and she was talking about the possibility to use couriers when ordering from few places, but unfortunately I don't have the same option. Darn. :rolleyes:
But now I checked out the newest weather forecasts and it seems that in the end of March we finally may have warm enough for vendors to ship. Aww yeah!

My mom and bf were both like "Eh... Really... But, you have one already? Just live with it at least for a year or so." I'm pretty sure they will never understand the addiction :D

Any suggestions? I've been planning to get a Brachypelma (not sure which one though. Maybe vagans, but I love them all), GBB and an Avic (again, not completely sure which one). If I get very adventurous, I may even order a Beginner Mystery Box. o_O I also need to realize that I don't have very much money at this point of my life, so I can't order all the Ts now :D
Here in Tarantula Forum we are enablers, no help here if you want to fight addiction! In a month I've gone from no tarantulas to having 16 slings and I ordered 2 more today! Get out while you still can!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually only have 5 species represented, I have 3 of one, 5 of another, 6 of another then two single specimens, today I ordered 2 of yet another species, some are for breeding in the future, some to grow and sell to cover expenses, and some are just for the collection.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try an arboreal of some type, probably NW.

It'll be a change of pace. There are psalmos like P irminia or P pulcher. The other way to go are the Avics and those formerly classified as Avics.

The thing with OBTs is they can do both terrestrial and arboreal, any cage you want.

It might be best to see how both work first if you're gonna do that.

If you're going to do a baboon spider, there are quite a few that aren't as hostile but they tend to be burrowers. M balfouri and H pulchripes come to mind. Research starter baboon spiders.

Basically everything you need to know about those 2 you can learn from A geniculata or a Lasiodora new world species raised from a sling.

Slings are less of a handful and it's fun to watch them grow, also cheaper to acquire!!

ALD

3 Year Member

I'm with you!!! I got my GBB and I am obsessed. I'm hooked. I have this mental list going of all the ones I want and it's semi overwhelming. Definitely feeling the addiction and that collection mentality is kicking in. Ha!!! They are gorgeous animals that I can relate to. The GBB is a wonderful species. The webbing is awesome and they are fun to feed. Cannot recommend them enough.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For some reason, I was mulling over a B klassi or something similar.

They grow fairly slowly & I don't think you can change that. I'd have to get a juvenile not a sling.

Still, might be pretty interesting.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Nunua : you already have a voracious eater in your geniculata. A good choice because it is also hardy. Two spiders that are similar in temperment and visibility are GBB and a curly hair. The awesomeness of GBB has already been mentioned. B. albopilosum is not a webber, but it is a bulldozing machine that has a great appetite. I don’t hold my Ts, but the curly hair is placid and quite handleable. Either would be a good choice for an addicted Finn in the springtime. ;):T:

Nunua

3 Year Member
Thanks for the answers everyone! Sorry for not answering, I was busy throughout the weekend :)

As at least few of you may know, I got a small pace changer on Saturday as I couldn't restrain myself and ended up buying N. incei gold from a pet store as I felt a bit sorry for this little girl. :oops: Compared to Maisa this little kid, Eos, is super skittish dash of gold. At least now I can say that no OBTs for me for now, haha! My docile darling will be a great teacher what comes handling skittish spiders who tend to flee upwards :D

For now I think that I will get GBB, Avic, and Brachypelma for next. But we'll see when the time actually comes ;)

@WolfSpider - Yes, my genic is the generic bottomless butt what comes to eating :D

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So is any Lasiodora!! "Extra snack" time is all the time except for premolt.

Yikes, mealworm beetle....

These feeders are almost dead....

Has everyone ignored that hornworm? ......

Housefly that tried to escape away from me INTO the enclosure..... (Gone in 60 seconds)

Latest posts