1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i cannot explain how much i want to avoid touching a spider

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Basilisk, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Basilisk

Basilisk New Member

Hello, I'm a total noob when it comes to spiders!

I actually don't normally like them because I'm a total weenie, but I have something of a conundrum because I fell in love with the big fluffy jumping spiders that live near my house. I love watching their antics, they're super cute. So I've come here to learn about spiders, overcome my fears, and maybe one day own one of my own!

Apparently a lot of them don't want to be handled as much as I don't want to handle them, so maybe it's okay?

I have moderate experience with reptiles, amphibians, and fish. My favorites in my collection are my largest pacman, Goblin, and my as-yet-unnamed Lacerta. Thanks for reading! I hope I can learn a lot from you guys.
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hi and welcome. You'll find loads of good advice and info here :).
    You're right tarantulas don't enjoy being handled although some will tolerate it. Most of us prefer to leave them in peace apart from feeding and cleaning. Many of us have been arachnophobes too so we fully understand your fears but tarantulas are fascinating creatures.
  3. Basilisk

Basilisk New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I figure it can't be much different than my pacman frogs, cause I never touch them either.
  4. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Welcome to the group. My daughter has raised dozens of tarantulas over her 18 years and to this day she still has never touched one.
  5. Basilisk

Basilisk New Member

Then mission "never touch a spider" is a go!
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  6. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.

Good luck choosing which species to start with. There are so many good ones!
  7. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Pick one up. It's not natural to be afraid of a jumping spider. Irational fears should be conquered. You know what happens when you hold one? Nothing, it jumps and bungies to the closest surface. You can actually play yo yo with them. It tends to aggravate them though, and they'll raise their little front legs at you. Then you just run them on your hand again. They're all bluff. They're literally the cutest spider in the world! Cowboy up, Princess. You can thank me later.
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  8. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Oh and welcome to TF!
  9. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Administrator

Welcome!

I love the jumping spiders too!!
  10. Basilisk

Basilisk New Member

I was looking at C. Versicolor, which is supposed to be a little tricky as a sling but I figure if I study their needs well and pick a juvenile instead I can manage it!

They're really cute right? We have Phidippus audax around here and they're so charming.
  11. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

I have a tiny little versicolor sling. I love the little guy. They walk like little muppets, and mine ir fairly active and personable. I think they'd be a great way to go if that is what you like. From what I've read, they need lots of ventilation. They don't do well with stagnant muggy air. Here is my little one:
    IMG_5976 copy.JPG
    Enn49 likes this.
  12. Basilisk

Basilisk New Member

Aww, how cute! It's kinda funny how it has longer bristles here and there. Makes it look like a wirehair terrier. There's supposed to be one at a pet shop near me according to their website. I think I may go check there and see how they look in person.
  13. LC72uk

LC72uk Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Group ................LC72UK:):T:
  14. Basilisk

Basilisk New Member

Thanks!
  15. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

A paint brush and a catch cup are your friend. Only my C versicolor has ever walked on my hand or at before. None of my others have. They don't feel slimy or sharp edges etc.

Having a T walk on you is nothing like for example having a fly land on you, which is totally gets by comparison.

I had the opportunity to have a pink zebra beauty walk on my hand, wasn't my tarantula but a pet store was selling them. It was totally calm, no issues whatsoever.

I should've gotten it but another customer wanted it.
  16. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

The pink zebra beauty is probably the gentlest T that I've ever experienced. A pet store was letting people hold it & it was totally chilled. My Versicolor has also walked on me on its own initiative.

They aren't slimy, smelly or painful to the touch but of course, handling should be minimal because they aren't equipped to handle that.

A paintbrush and catch cup are your friends.
Draft saved Draft deleted