• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i cannot explain how much i want to avoid touching a spider

Basilisk

Hello, I'm a total noob when it comes to spiders!

I actually don't normally like them because I'm a total weenie, but I have something of a conundrum because I fell in love with the big fluffy jumping spiders that live near my house. I love watching their antics, they're super cute. So I've come here to learn about spiders, overcome my fears, and maybe one day own one of my own!

Apparently a lot of them don't want to be handled as much as I don't want to handle them, so maybe it's okay?

I have moderate experience with reptiles, amphibians, and fish. My favorites in my collection are my largest pacman, Goblin, and my as-yet-unnamed Lacerta. Thanks for reading! I hope I can learn a lot from you guys.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome. You'll find loads of good advice and info here :).
You're right tarantulas don't enjoy being handled although some will tolerate it. Most of us prefer to leave them in peace apart from feeding and cleaning. Many of us have been arachnophobes too so we fully understand your fears but tarantulas are fascinating creatures.

Basilisk

Hi and welcome. You'll find loads of good advice and info here :).
You're right tarantulas don't enjoy being handled although some will tolerate it. Most of us prefer to leave them in peace apart from feeding and cleaning. Many of us have been arachnophobes too so we fully understand your fears but tarantulas are fascinating creatures.

Thanks for the welcome! I figure it can't be much different than my pacman frogs, cause I never touch them either.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pick one up. It's not natural to be afraid of a jumping spider. Irational fears should be conquered. You know what happens when you hold one? Nothing, it jumps and bungies to the closest surface. You can actually play yo yo with them. It tends to aggravate them though, and they'll raise their little front legs at you. Then you just run them on your hand again. They're all bluff. They're literally the cutest spider in the world! Cowboy up, Princess. You can thank me later.

Basilisk

Hello and welcome.

Good luck choosing which species to start with. There are so many good ones!

I was looking at C. Versicolor, which is supposed to be a little tricky as a sling but I figure if I study their needs well and pick a juvenile instead I can manage it!

Welcome!

I love the jumping spiders too!!

They're really cute right? We have Phidippus audax around here and they're so charming.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have a tiny little versicolor sling. I love the little guy. They walk like little muppets, and mine ir fairly active and personable. I think they'd be a great way to go if that is what you like. From what I've read, they need lots of ventilation. They don't do well with stagnant muggy air. Here is my little one:
IMG_5976 copy.JPG

Basilisk

I have a tiny little versicolor sling. I love the little guy. They walk like little muppets, and mine ir fairly active and personable. I think they'd be a great way to go if that is what you like. From what I've read, they need lots of ventilation. They don't do well with stagnant muggy air. Here is my little one:

Aww, how cute! It's kinda funny how it has longer bristles here and there. Makes it look like a wirehair terrier. There's supposed to be one at a pet shop near me according to their website. I think I may go check there and see how they look in person.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A paint brush and a catch cup are your friend. Only my C versicolor has ever walked on my hand or at before. None of my others have. They don't feel slimy or sharp edges etc.

Having a T walk on you is nothing like for example having a fly land on you, which is totally gets by comparison.

I had the opportunity to have a pink zebra beauty walk on my hand, wasn't my tarantula but a pet store was selling them. It was totally calm, no issues whatsoever.

I should've gotten it but another customer wanted it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The pink zebra beauty is probably the gentlest T that I've ever experienced. A pet store was letting people hold it & it was totally chilled. My Versicolor has also walked on me on its own initiative.

They aren't slimy, smelly or painful to the touch but of course, handling should be minimal because they aren't equipped to handle that.

A paintbrush and catch cup are your friends.

Latest posts