• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I am scared that she will die

edyssee

Hello everyone,

I have a question and I hope that you can help me. So I brought a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 6 months ago. She refused food for the whole 6 months, often looks like she wants to eat the roach, like approaching, putting her legs on it and hovering over it, but then she pulls away and seems stressed. She has webbed her enclosure up over the first 4 months, so I think she accepted it, but she stopped recently. She is really really thin and seems weak. She curls up quite often, sometimes it looks like half a deathcurl. I usually touch her with a bruch to see if she is okay. She usually puts her body on the substrate, I haven't seen her with her body up and walking for months. I don't know if she is just very docile or if she is to weak to do stuff, but she acts like a Grammostola and let's you do literally everything: taking waterdish out, putting stuff in the enclosure, removing it, even stuff, that is right in front of her fangs. She had white dots on her head so I gently brushed them away with a brush, scared that it was molt or something, no reaction from her (it wasn't mold). Sometimes she moves with curled legs, like she isn't able to stretch or move them fully. She has had bald spots on her abdomen for the whole 6 months, but they haven't darkened yet. So I asume she is in premolt, but her moves and resting positions just aren't normal to me, so I am actually very worried. One time I found her lifeless in the waterdish, like all in, body under water. I got so scared and gently pulled her up and out, she came back to life a bit later. I don't know what's wrong with her, maybe I'm overreacting but I really think that something is very wrong.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are you certain that your T is female? Much of what you're describing sounds like the behaviour of a mature male.
Can you tell us the size and photos would help both of the T and its container.

edyssee

Are you certain that your T is female? Much of what you're describing sounds like the behaviour of a mature male.
She was sold to me as a female and does not have the hooks

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_143254.jpg
    IMG_20210619_143254.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210617_131036.jpg
    IMG_20210617_131036.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 31

edyssee

The body is 5-6 cm long, she was sold as "freshly adult female"

edyssee

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_111604.jpg
    IMG_20210530_111604.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22

JACEY

Temperamental. The new word in identifying with my Pink Toe. She's super particular, dainty, Prissy even. She refused food in premolt. Would jump on like to take food then slap cricket away, several attempts. Now she's molted and still is what appears withdrawn. She has shown a liking to the heat pad section of housing. She likes heat. I'm happy you were able to get your T out of the water. I have learned when they are cold they go dormant, prehybernation like. Does your T have heat pad? Most are tropical and need some heat and humidity. She definitely doesn't sound happy and thriving besides the healthy webbing. Good luck. Attached photos/videos my Pink Toe, formally Avacularia Avacularia.

Attachments

• 20210619_075342.jpg
    20210619_075342.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210619_075320.jpg
    20210619_075320.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210618_090037.jpg
    20210618_090037.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210616_043610.mp4
    15.6 MB
  • 20210616_043555.mp4
    24.8 MB

JACEY

Oh, I was videoing her preening to see if her fangs had blackened. I bought the spider tree thingy to offer her anchor points for nesting/webbing.

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Temperamental. The new word in identifying with my Pink Toe. She's super particular, dainty, Prissy even. She refused food in premolt. Would jump on like to take food then slap cricket away, several attempts. Now she's molted and still is what appears withdrawn. She has shown a liking to the heat pad section of housing. She likes heat. I'm happy you were able to get your T out of the water. I have learned when they are cold they go dormant, prehybernation like. Does your T have heat pad? Most are tropical and need some heat and humidity. She definitely doesn't sound happy and thriving besides the healthy webbing. Good luck. Attached photos/videos my Pink Toe, formally Avacularia Avacularia.
Heat pads or heat bulbs are totally not recommended for tarantulas. Tarantulas like to burrow to stay cool. If there’s a heat pad underneath enclosure then they’re gonna burrow down into heat and most likely cook themselves. Tarantulas are jus fine at room temperature.

JACEY

Oh no. No heat pads under. On side of cabinet and enclosure an inch away. If they want warmth they go to the side with some heat. Mister even backed his bunn up to the wall to get the heat. Sister pushed up against that side too. My Curlys like a little heat. My Avic likes it too. Stays close where heat is generating ever so smoothly. So interesting. Good luck. Jamie, 2 Curlys & an Avic

Gizalba

3 Year Member
She was sold to me as a female and does not have the hooks

I don't know enough to know if your tarantula looks like a mature adult or not, but if it is not fully grown yet it could still be male I believe. Maybe it just hasn't had a final moult and developed hooks yet? The seller might have made a mistake with the sexing. I hope you can get more answers.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Oh no. No heat pads under. On side of cabinet and enclosure an inch away. If they want warmth they go to the side with some heat. Mister even backed his bunn up to the wall to get the heat. Sister pushed up against that side too. My Curlys like a little heat. My Avic likes it too. Stays close where heat is generating ever so smoothly. So interesting. Good luck. Jamie, 2 Curlys & an Avic
Well, some may not agree, but I do the same for my four tarantulas, all of which are Grammostola (pulchra, pulchripes, rosea) Even the most reluctant will come out for the heating pad's radiant heat and stick to the wall. And I have seen all four out at once, which I never do otherwise.

I consider myself an extreme novice, having gotten my first tarantula about three months ago, but they seem to be thriving ( thanks in large part to good advice on this forum). I am starting to experiment using heat cables to better spread out the warmth(rather than use several heating pads).

Many in the T community extol simplicity and would say that that I and others are overcomplicating things. And yes it is more complicated, but it is something I enjoy. Helps me destress, most times.

JACEY

Awesomeness. Experiment. Good word. Dec 2020 started my current T journey. 9 years ago I had a Rose Hair, very easy, for 17 years. I've been saying often I'm gonna get another tarantula and now I have 3, lol. Keep up the good work. And I agree, they're still alive so doing something right. And to reach their own, journey. Go Spidee peeps.

Latest posts