• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I’ve seen that I have been getting some mold growing on my trenchless Burrow log

Joemaster

image.jpg
How can I prevent mold from growing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
In order to prevent mould you need to improve ventilation and if your species is alowing it reduce moisture levels of the substrate.
A bit of mould wont harm your tarantula so dont freak out about it.You can spot clean and add springtails too to help you out a bit.
Regards Konstantin

Joemaster

Hi
In order to prevent mould you need to improve ventilation and if your species is alowing it reduce moisture levels of the substrate.
A bit of mould wont harm your tarantula so dont freak out about it.You can spot clean and add springtails too to help you out a bit.
Regards Konstantin
What is springtails and how can I make more ventilation

Attachments

• 50AD863A-7F62-4545-9F78-19C18E3A45CB.jpeg
    50AD863A-7F62-4545-9F78-19C18E3A45CB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Springtails are tiny isopods that we like to call the "cleanup crew". They eat mold and decaying things in the terrarium to keep it clean but they won't hurt your tarantula. :) It's like having miniature "maids" in your tarantulas house. :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From the picture your ventilation looks fine - so use springtails (small amount) and let your enclosure dry out only keep it damp around the water dish and no where else(when you fill it just over flow it now and then) , for example if you have moss in there don't bother to wet it down, you have a brachypelma species and they like dry substrate anyway :)

Joemaster

From the picture your ventilation looks fine - so use springtails (small amount) and let your enclosure dry out only keep it damp around the water dish and no where else(when you fill it just over flow it now and then) , for example if you have moss in there don't bother to wet it down, you have a brachypelma species and they like dry substrate anyway :)
How can I dry out my tank more

Joemaster

Springtails are tiny isopods that we like to call the "cleanup crew". They eat mold and decaying things in the terrarium to keep it clean but they won't hurt your tarantula. :) It's like having miniature "maids" in your tarantulas house. :)
So Bring tails are bugs can’t escape my tank through the top or not And where can I buy springtails

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Harmful to any pets or can they get out
They don't tend to get out.. And as your enclosure drys out they will die off as they only survive in damp substrate which is a good thing because you don't want too many in there... They are not harmful to any pets at all :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And how long do they live for
You don't have to care for them in anyway as they live off of the damp substrate and eat all the mould and stuff like that so they don't need anything additional -
I can't specifically say how long they live for but they will die off once the substrate dries out but you will find a few in or around the water dish but that's normal :)

Latest posts