• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Humidifier?

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
It’s bitterly cold and dry here in NY— I’ve set up a humidifier in my spider room. So far all is well. Some of my tarantulas are on the walls of their enclosures. I also keep water bowls full and overflow them.

Do you use a humidifier? Thoughts?

Thank you :)

Lentulus

3 Year Member
I don’t but I also don’t keep any of the humidity sensitive species. I own one but used it very little since the initial need/want. For my situation, it seemed like more work/expense with little change to the actual room conditions. I will add that your setups seem more thought out and prettier than what I do as well. So maybe I’m just getting lazier…who knows. ;)

Tomb Spider

I'm just a bloody beginner, so my expertise isn't great, but what I heard and then tested is a layer of seramis (in other parts of the world it might be called different. alternatively use expanded clay or similar stuff) under the substrate, which is then watered It helped a lot to get the humidity a lot higher and also drains the substrate.

humidifiers make a lot of work (cleaning, filling) and does not help much, keeping it on a constant level. and if its not cleaned regularly there might be harmful bacteria to the spider.
I guess that it only is useful for species like rainforest frogs which need almost 100% saturated air (occasionally?).

maybe for very hot days, but not for constant use I would say.

meridannight

I do have a humidifier, but not for my tarantulas. I have it for my plants (of which I have hundreds). And I only need to use it a couple of months out of the year when humidity inside drops to 50%. The rest of the year humidity is 70-80%, so I don't need to use it.

MidnightArachnids

Tarantula Club Member
It’s bitterly cold and dry here in NY— I’ve set up a humidifier in my spider room. So far all is well. Some of my tarantulas are on the walls of their enclosures. I also keep water bowls full and overflow them.

Do you use a humidifier? Thoughts?

Thank you :)
They are pretty much pointless.

Just overflowing water dish is fine.

Also, having live moss that you can lightly spray once in a while helps alot.

middy74

Hi I'm uk my humidity is 50ish in my little room if I get a spike of humidity on the night 65+ a rvk pull's the air out it makes my room stable at 50ish and everything is fine and healthy

meridannight

70-80% in a room (in wintertime)? here in germany it would mould in the room again.

In the winter (january-february) it's 50% without the humidifier. 70-80% the rest of the year. Yeah, there can be some mold issues, but nothing major. Mold starts to grow at 75% RH. And that's only a problem in July-September which are the months with highest humidity. In any case, I don't have a problem with it. I'd still rather live at 70% RH, than anything less than 50%. It's the modern houses with their too dry air that have it wrong in this respect.