• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How would this work as a GBB sling enclosure?

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
4045611E-2075-480A-809B-0718345AA108.jpeg
0D80FE0C-1250-4C32-BCC7-7EC2D7C23FB1.jpeg

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Second one is sufficient for sure? It is 3 and a quarter inches wide and tall and 5 and a quarter in length. And how many holes would you drill in it?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Second one is sufficient for sure? It is 3 and a quarter inches wide and tall and 5 and a quarter in length. And how many holes would you drill in it?
What size is the sling? This would be good for a sling under 1.5", but its getting crowded for anything over that.

I would drill 2 or 3 rows of holes on each of the 4 sides. GBB like it dry. Hole size would depend on spider size.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
It’s supposed to be between an inch to an inch and a half
I think that box will work just fine for one that size.

Here is what I do:
I rinse the box and lid under warm water and wipe it out with my hand to remove any manufacturing or shipping residue and make sure it is clean. I drill or melt all my ventilation holes, and rinse again to remove any drill debris. Then I fill up the container about half way to 2/3 with loose coco coir, and hand pack it down firmly. It packs better if it is lightly damp, but I go very easy with the dampness because GBB need drier conditions. Bone dry with no moisture is difficult to get packed, and low levels of dampness are okay for slings as long as there is lots of ventilation. Next I add in a cave, or some cork bark and some plastic plants. Sticks or branches can be helpful too as anchor points for all their webbing. I use a plastic bottle cap over in one corner for a water dish and either wash or replace it every week or two. For this species I only overflow the water dish a little bit during refills, as I want the substrate to be mostly dry all over. I use a water bottle lid for smaller spiders and a Gatorade bottle lid for them as they grow. My reptile room is on the warm side, so I feed babies every three days, and older ones every 5-7 days. I also usually feed more moderately sized meals compared to some keepers who feed larger amounts with less frequency. Just my personal preference on that one.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Thanks you have been very helpful! So I can just ask for small crickets at the pet store for their food source correct? And where can I find small roaches for them?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks you have been very helpful! So I can just ask for small crickets at the pet store for their food source correct? And where can I find small roaches for them?
You can try pet stores, but your best option is finding an online source.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I hope extra small Dubia roaches work because that’s what I just ordered
Should be fine for a sling that size. You might have to prod the dubia to make it move around enough to attract the spider. I find the if I drop the dubia near the spider, they usually pounce immediately.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Okay good to know. I know I have had a ton of questions but I just wanna be completely sure I know what I’m doing to care for this sling. I’m glad I got on this forum. But I will keep you all updated once I receive the sling with photos.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Okay good to know. I know I have had a ton of questions but I just wanna be completely sure I know what I’m doing to care for this sling. I’m glad I got on this forum. But I will keep you all updated once I receive the sling with photos.
Questions are welcome. I learn more from reading the answers to other people's questions. Ask all you want. :)