• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How widespread is cricket shortage?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
My local pet store and at least one chain pet store here in Maine have been reporting a shortage of crickets.

It seems to happen from time to time. I am not sure where else is affected or why. I also don't know if any of this is pandemic- related as it seems to have been last year, based on information I read on this forum.

I will be trying superworms, which seem easiest to keep and don't require refridgeration. One of my three 1.5-2" tarantulas has been eating pre-killed crickets anyway (and maybe alive ones) so I will try prekilled superworms.

Another T has barricaded herself in her den. One mound covering an exit was built up the other day to about three times the height it was previously. I tried not to take it personally. Will try prekilled superworms.

My third T (G. rosea) arrived yesterday and is still leaning on the walls.
I will wait until tomorrow to feed the three. Today I bought 50 superworms ( the smallest amount) and will get them set with food and moisture tonight to help fatten them up, hopefully.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks, I do remember reading that somewhere which factored into me buying them. All three Ts took them last night, (I could not wait) although I did prekill those for my G. pulchra who likes its privacy. My G. pulchripes sensed the movement of the disabled superworm and came out of her fortress and ate it. My rosea pounced on hers.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
So anyone else seeing a shortage of crickets? Three of four pet stores near me have stopped selling crickets, one a mom and pop and two chain.

MBullock

3 Year Member
So anyone else seeing a shortage of crickets? Three of four pet stores near me have stopped selling crickets, one a mom and pop and two chain.
i think people are hoarding them. it's been difficult obtaining superworms and mealworms lately, too

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
i think people are hoarding them. it's been difficult obtaining superworms and mealworms lately, too
Local Petco had quite a few containers of 50 superworms today. No crickets. Superworms don't seem to be a problem where I am.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the suggestions. But I only have three juvie tarantulas. I guess I was just interested in finding out about what was going on and why.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the suggestions. But I only have three juvie tarantulas. I guess I was just interested in finding out about what was going on and why.
All I keep hearing is they are constantly out due to COVID. Then I politely asked how COVID causes shortages and they had no reply. Then I asked what are they feeding their tarantulas and reptiles, they said crickets.
So, they are trying to sell people animals who eat bugs, but will not sell the feeders to feed that same animal.. makes sense.
(Just a small little rant, pay me no mind)

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All I keep hearing is they are constantly out due to COVID. Then I politely asked how COVID causes shortages and they had no reply. Then I asked what are they feeding their tarantulas and reptiles, they said crickets.
So, they are trying to sell people animals who eat bugs, but will not sell the feeders to feed that same animal.. makes sense.
(Just a small little rant, pay me no mind)
Same issue here in Washington.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
either that or sellers are holding out to increase demand

Crickets only live for around 3 months. So hoarding, or holding out to cause a shortage makes no real sense.

Maybe stores are trying to avoid paying their bills. Hence why they have told Teresaisrad that it is due to covid. As many places are using covid to reduce their outgoings, one way or another.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Crickets only live for around 3 months. So hoarding, or holding out to cause a shortage makes no real sense.

Maybe stores are trying to avoid paying their bills. Hence why they have told Teresaisrad that it is due to covid. As many places are using covid to reduce their outgoings, one way or another.
This makes sense to me.

MBullock

3 Year Member

theyre buying large numbers and breeding them. hence hoarding

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
survivalists seeking an alternative protein source to farm could also be buying large nunbers of them to breed as well considering whats going on with beef atm
I would not be surprised about this. A growing number of people are looking for other ways to get protein. Let's not forget about mealworms that are supposed to be popular among those seeking beef and pork alternatives. And aren't iguanas considered "chicken of the trees" in some areas? Maine lobsters, now seen as a delicacy, were once considered a poor man's food as they scavenge on the ocean floor.

Jenniferinfl

I'm in Florida, the local shop had a cricket shortage issue a few weeks ago, then the chain store had an issue the week before last. Locally, the crickets are back in stock everywhere I've been.

I think a lot more people bought bearded dragons and leopard geckos. I wander the local shops recreationally and they're always out of bearded dragons and leopard geckos. You know, for those of us who didn't do the whole 'get a covid puppy' thing, I think there was an uptick in other cricket eating pets.

AphonoMel

3 Year Member
Not really an issue of shortage but rather in size.I remember a month or two ago buying crickets from my LPS,I usually buy 3 dozen large,2 dozen medium and 2 dozen small.The large ones were just about the same size as the medium ones Wasn't that big of a deal,I just fed my T's more.But as of today,seems like everything is back to normal.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
The flow of crickets has seemed to have slowed again and I too have noticed smaller sizes. Someone suggested that they get their crickets from Georgia where there is extreme heat, which I am guessing may delay shipments.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The flow of crickets has seemed to have slowed again and I too have noticed smaller sizes. Someone suggested that they get their crickets from Georgia where there is extreme heat, which I am guessing may delay shipments.
Got my twice monthly delivery (1000 adults twice a month) on Wednesday (ordered on Monday) without any issue.
During the pandemic I didn't notice much change on the supply availability and pricing (still $27 for 1000 crickets with shipping included).
P.S: I am located in NYC.

Latest posts