• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to tell if a spider is mature?

Alumentum

As the title says, I'm not quite sure how to tell if my tarantula is 'mature' or not, I think it's a female Chromatopelma cyanopubescens but, I'm not super sure. It's molted once in my care, and is around 3" in span. Eats like a champ but, when can I tell if it's sexually mature?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
As the title says, I'm not quite sure how to tell if my tarantula is 'mature' or not, I think it's a female Chromatopelma cyanopubescens but, I'm not super sure. It's molted once in my care, and is around 3" in span. Eats like a champ but, when can I tell if it's sexually mature?

Hi there. If it's female, I think at 3" DLS it should be mature. If the spermathecae is dark in colour, then that is a strong indication it is mature.

If it is male however, you'll know that it's mature when it moults into a male in appearance, so it will have tibial hooks, enlarged pedipalps and be smaller and leggier than a female in appearance. Hope that helps a bit :)

AndrewClayton

3” leg span is pretty small I can’t see it being mature at that size it should still have a couple of moults to go before sexually maturing, average size of a female is about 5” some may reach the 6” mark

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I stand corrected. Always thought females matured at around 2/3rds of their max size and I was thinking 5" max, but my maths was em, a bit out there. :)

Tschorm

Sry for allways asking questions in others threads =P But how old do this species get? Got a female thats 5 jears old now and a tiny sling that will hopefully become a male so I can try pairing them in 3-5 jears maybe if she lasts that long that is.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sry for allways asking questions in others threads =P But how old do this species get? Got a female thats 5 jears old now and a tiny sling that will hopefully become a male so I can try pairing them in 3-5 jears maybe if she lasts that long that is.

I don't know exactly how old but I believe females will live past 12 years. I'm almost certain you will still have her by the time your other sling reaches maturity

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I've heard the males mature quick, like in 2 years or so. Not sure if this is typical of the species though...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Males hook out at 5" or so. Females are sexually mature around 4.5"(molt needed to verify sexual maturity). Fully mature female will be over 6".
FB_IMG_1527649334235.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Still may be a male... you need to sex a molt.

Latest posts