• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to safely add live plants to enclosures?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of planting live plants in enclosures and how to wash them first/make sure there aren't any fertilisers or other chemicals on it from maybe the soil it was planted in at the original shop, that could be dangerous to the tarantula? I bought the plant from swell reptiles and have contacted the shop where they bought the plant to ask. Of course they can't guarantee there were no chemicals but they don't 'think' there were any in the soil, although they did buy it from another shop so can't be sure. I have tried to shake most of the original soil off the roots but I'm scared of damaging the plant so some is remaining, then re-potted it into my own safe substrate.

The plant is this Muehlenbeckia complexa, which I am wanting to put in my Psalmopoeus Cambridgei enclosure to make it more natural and provide lots of foliage cover. I will be using hydro balls as a drainage layer and have tried to choose a plant that has similar needs as the tarantula.

Attachments

• DSC01004 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01004 - Copy.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 10

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I had a couple of bioactive, planted enclosures & all you need to do is buy organic plants. And if a supplier says they cannot guarantee "no chemicals," then it's not organic & personally, I would not use it, or trust that supplier.

It's just my personal opinion, but no one should be selling plants for animal enclosures if they do not KNOW for a fact what chemicals have been used on the plant, or within the soil it is planted in. That is, to my mind, 100% about profit & 100% uncaring about the animals.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I had a couple of bioactive, planted enclosures & all you need to do is buy organic plants. And if a supplier says they cannot guarantee "no chemicals," then it's not organic & personally, I would not use it, or trust that supplier.

It's just my personal opinion, but no one should be selling plants for animal enclosures if they do not KNOW for a fact what chemicals have been used on the plant, or within the soil it is planted in. That is, to my mind, 100% about profit & 100% uncaring about the animals.

Thanks very much for this info, I hadn't thought about buying organic plants, will have a look for them! Yeah, the reason I bought them from a reptile place is hoping they would be safe and that they grew them themselves. I'm glad I enquired to check :/

Gizalba

3 Year Member
P.s. I noticed you are in the UK, and wondered if you can advise where I can buy reliably organic plants from?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
P.s. I noticed you are in the UK, and wondered if you can advise where I can buy reliably organic plants from?

Many nurseries etc sell organic plants. I brought some of my plants locally & some came from the annual Invert show at Bedford.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
I've been using plants in my enclosures for about 3 years now so I'm no expert on the matter. Here where I live I only have access to plants from plant stores and I'm unaware if they use pesticides or not. So I take measures that might seem a bit over kill. I re pot the plants and remove the substrate from the roots. If I don't want to disturb the roots then I will wait until I need to divide the plant. I then 'wash' the plant completely and then I leave it to recover. This sometimes takes a month or two. I'm no expert but I have yet to loose an animal to pesticides.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I've been using plants in my enclosures for about 3 years now so I'm no expert on the matter. Here where I live I only have access to plants from plant stores and I'm unaware if they use pesticides or not. So I take measures that might seem a bit over kill. I re pot the plants and remove the substrate from the roots. If I don't want to disturb the roots then I will wait until I need to divide the plant. I then 'wash' the plant completely and then I leave it to recover. This sometimes takes a month or two. I'm no expert but I have yet to loose an animal to pesticides.

Thanks very much!

meridannight

I grow a lot of plants at home. I would love to add live plants to my tarantulas' enclosures, but in all honesty that's not a viable option. Unless you put grow lights on the enclosure and keep a correct watering regime, the plant will just die after a little while. Depending on the plant, they can hang on outwardly seeming to be doing okay even for a few months, but it's a death sentence for a plant and I don't do it. Additionally, stressed plants will attract pests, parasites and fungus to themselves. Not something I want in my tarantulas' enclosures.

Ted 1968

I use Pothos plants. Its easy to take cuttings and put them in water till they root. by that time pesticides are not an issue. they're cheap and hardy and grow well in a range of light

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I use Pothos plants. Its easy to take cuttings and put them in water till they root. by that time pesticides are not an issue. they're cheap and hardy and grow well in a range of light

Thanks! I have indeed decided to use a pothos plant :) I have found some cuttings I can order from etsy.

Blackdog

I grow a lot of plants at home. I would love to add live plants to my tarantulas' enclosures, but in all honesty that's not a viable option. Unless you put grow lights on the enclosure and keep a correct watering regime, the plant will just die after a little while. Depending on the plant, they can hang on outwardly seeming to be doing okay even for a few months, but it's a death sentence for a plant and I don't do it. Additionally, stressed plants will attract pests, parasites and fungus to themselves. Not something I want in my tarantulas' enclosures.
Pothos needs almost no sunlight and if kept well does not attract bugs. In fact it is the easiest and often most aggressive grower for enclosures. Also you want a plant that has only had fish fertilizer used and no chemicals.