• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to make a "Mechanical mom"

Austin S.

3 Year Member
Yeah. F that. LOL Too much work for me. lol

I leave the sac with female for 10-12 days, then pull it. I place the sac on a shallow, empty water dish, which is on top of very wet paper towels. Soft tissue is inside the water dish, and that is where the sac sits.
Incubator holds up to 10 sacs, and maintains temps at 83-86 degrees, and 80-88% humidity.

I rotate each sac at the following times during each day, by hand (wearing latex gloves), until I open the sac on day 28-40 (depending on species):
8:00AM
12:00PM
5:00PM
9:00PM
1:00PM
5:00AM

I tried this last month first with a H. sp 'small' sac. Pulled it on day 5. Put it in incubator and did this for 25 days. 112 good and healthy 1i's right now. Not a single bad egg.

I have a mechanical mom being made for me right now though, because waking up at 5:00 am every morning, then 7:00am is killing me. But it is worth it.
I can provide pictures for everyone if interested.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah. F that. LOL Too much work for me. lol

I leave the sac with female for 10-12 days, then pull it. I place the sac on a shallow, empty water dish, which is on top of very wet paper towels. Soft tissue is inside the water dish, and that is where the sac sits.
Incubator holds up to 10 sacs, and maintains temps at 83-86 degrees, and 80-88% humidity.

I rotate each sac at the following times during each day, by hand (wearing latex gloves), until I open the sac on day 28-40 (depending on species):
8:00AM
12:00PM
5:00PM
9:00PM
1:00PM
5:00AM

I tried this last month first with a H. sp 'small' sac. Pulled it on day 5. Put it in incubator and did this for 25 days. 112 good and healthy 1i's right now. Not a single bad egg.

I have a mechanical mom being made for me right now though, because waking up at 5:00 am every morning, then 7:00am is killing me. But it is worth it.
I can provide pictures for everyone if interested.
Lol. Waking up that early is more work then building a machine;)