• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to keep a nice pokie :D

Crax

Premium Member
Anyone else have the most chilled pokie?

Izzy is a confirmed male poecilotheria regalis and quite the relaxed little beast. I do add stimuli to his enclosure and have done since he was tiny. Such as a tattoo ink cap to carry around, more moss than usual to carry about, two different hides and various sized cork bark on all sides and not just one.

Also on occasion, I'll sneak in some tongs and steal some of his moss on the bottom of his hide. This not only helps keep mildew and mold down but allows me to see if he's hoarding carcasses since he's a widdle guy and loves to be messy.

Another factor to keep in mind, his enclosure is well above my head. Just think how high they actually live. I do the same with all my arboreal species.

I did this for my old girl back in the day as well and she was pretty relaxed. Though with her, if you didn't knock first she'd let you know in a heart beat that she didn't appreciate it.

Was wondering if anyone else had done similar things or am I just lucky?

Attachments

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
Premium Member
I've got a few hundred Poecilotheria in my collection at this time(I breed them). Many of mine are what you call chill. I open cages clean , feed, and water.... Everyone is just chill. Then you get complacent and bam!!!! That sweet 10" pokie jumps onto your chest and to your back before you can react. To answer your question...yes your just lucky(so far). ;)

Crax

Premium Member
I've got a few hundred Poecilotheria in my collection at this time(I breed them). Many of mine are what you call chill. I open cages clean , feed, and water.... Everyone is just chill. Then you get complacent and bam!!!! That sweet 10" pokie jumps onto your chest and to your back before you can react. To answer your question...yes your just lucky(so far). ;)

I never get complacent. I treat them all like a loaded gun with highly toxic venom that will melt my skin. Accidents do happen though.

What i was referring to was him being out almost all the time, he only hides when I "knock" to come in. Sometimes he'll get brave and do a 180 and check to see what's going on and that's why his part of the hide is covered, no matter which side he's on but he nor she (in the past) has never done this crazy dart about like I've seen on some videos.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Premium Member
My Poecilotheria metallica is probably the calmest of all my Ts. She loves to sit on the glass in the top front corner of her container with a few feet on the door and the rest on the side and when I need to open the door for maintenance she will shuffle gently over so I can slide the door up.

Crax

Premium Member
My Poecilotheria metallica is probably the calmest of all my Ts. She loves to sit on the glass in the top front corner of her container with a few feet on the door and the rest on the side and when I need to open the door for maintenance she will shuffle gently over so I can slide the door up.

Do you do anything special?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Premium Member
Do you do anything special?
Not at all. She's on a shelf at eye level, right beside the door from hall to living room so people passing regularly.

Turtlynne

I have a P. ornata - I've had her about 2 years - she is usually out after dark and if I don't disturb her home she will stay in place...IF I even wiggle the table her enclosure is on - she is GONE! She definitely disappears when I feed or clean...I am cautious and wouldn't try to disturb her in her hide and I always warn her if I'm coming in... I like my Ts calm and try not to antagonize any of them - they didn't ask to be caged by us big bad humans.