• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to keep a nice pokie :D

Crax

Anyone else have the most chilled pokie?

Izzy is a confirmed male poecilotheria regalis and quite the relaxed little beast. I do add stimuli to his enclosure and have done since he was tiny. Such as a tattoo ink cap to carry around, more moss than usual to carry about, two different hides and various sized cork bark on all sides and not just one.

Also on occasion, I'll sneak in some tongs and steal some of his moss on the bottom of his hide. This not only helps keep mildew and mold down but allows me to see if he's hoarding carcasses since he's a widdle guy and loves to be messy.

Another factor to keep in mind, his enclosure is well above my head. Just think how high they actually live. I do the same with all my arboreal species.

I did this for my old girl back in the day as well and she was pretty relaxed. Though with her, if you didn't knock first she'd let you know in a heart beat that she didn't appreciate it.

Was wondering if anyone else had done similar things or am I just lucky?

Attachments

• NjAwLDYwMCxBQUFBQUNBRElBTTEtNA2.jpg
    NjAwLDYwMCxBQUFBQUNBRElBTTEtNA2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 54

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got a few hundred Poecilotheria in my collection at this time(I breed them). Many of mine are what you call chill. I open cages clean , feed, and water.... Everyone is just chill. Then you get complacent and bam!!!! That sweet 10" pokie jumps onto your chest and to your back before you can react. To answer your question...yes your just lucky(so far). ;)

Crax

I've got a few hundred Poecilotheria in my collection at this time(I breed them). Many of mine are what you call chill. I open cages clean , feed, and water.... Everyone is just chill. Then you get complacent and bam!!!! That sweet 10" pokie jumps onto your chest and to your back before you can react. To answer your question...yes your just lucky(so far). ;)

I never get complacent. I treat them all like a loaded gun with highly toxic venom that will melt my skin. Accidents do happen though.

What i was referring to was him being out almost all the time, he only hides when I "knock" to come in. Sometimes he'll get brave and do a 180 and check to see what's going on and that's why his part of the hide is covered, no matter which side he's on but he nor she (in the past) has never done this crazy dart about like I've seen on some videos.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My Poecilotheria metallica is probably the calmest of all my Ts. She loves to sit on the glass in the top front corner of her container with a few feet on the door and the rest on the side and when I need to open the door for maintenance she will shuffle gently over so I can slide the door up.

Crax

My Poecilotheria metallica is probably the calmest of all my Ts. She loves to sit on the glass in the top front corner of her container with a few feet on the door and the rest on the side and when I need to open the door for maintenance she will shuffle gently over so I can slide the door up.

Do you do anything special?

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
I have a P. ornata - I've had her about 2 years - she is usually out after dark and if I don't disturb her home she will stay in place...IF I even wiggle the table her enclosure is on - she is GONE! She definitely disappears when I feed or clean...I am cautious and wouldn't try to disturb her in her hide and I always warn her if I'm coming in... I like my Ts calm and try not to antagonize any of them - they didn't ask to be caged by us big bad humans.

shaun

3 Year Member
Very interesting. Is that a relevant point, about keeping the enclosure high up?
I have a pink toe but didn't think about putting the tank on a shelf or something high.
Would it make a difference to the t?
I am sure that some of you will have a good idea.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Very interesting. Is that a relevant point, about keeping the enclosure high up?
I have a pink toe but didn't think about putting the tank on a shelf or something high.
Would it make a difference to the t?

I truly don't believe the T caring or knowing if the enclosure is dangling from the roof or down to your knee level.

Last edited:

shaun

3 Year Member
I truly don't believe the T caring on knowing if the enclosure is dangling from the roof or down to your knee level.
Yes, that was my gut feeling. Thanks. Lots of knowledgeable keepers on this site, reassuring.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Having hundreds of pokies in my room at the moment. A pokie sitting out in the open is a common occurrence...nothing special about it at all.
As for height of the enclosure...that doesnt matter either. I have them stacked from the ground to the ceiling.
Back to complacency...a slight breeze and that always calm pokie sitting in the same spot will bolt. Been there done that many, many times.
Always stay ahead of the game. :cool:

Crax

Having hundreds of pokies in my room at the moment. A pokie sitting out in the open is a common occurrence...nothing special about it at all.
As for height of the enclosure...that doesnt matter either. I have them stacked from the ground to the ceiling.
Back to complacency...a slight breeze and that always calm pokie sitting in the same spot will bolt. Been there done that many, many times.
Always stay ahead of the game. :cool:

I have a question... So its ok to keep an arboreal species on the bottom shelf? Wouldn't it be better to keep them higher up to help them feel a bit safer? Many video references show that the wild species, the bigger they are the slightly higher they are. Wouldn't this apply to captive species?

I have noticed that my arboreal species are a bit calmer and out more the higher they are. Now do I make them so high and out of my reach, no. But I think keeping them up and above foot traffic is a good thing.

If your answer is no, why? Can you point to some hard back references?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Poecilotheria species in Sri Lanka are at 8,500 ft. and higher.
Poecilotheria at my home are at 300 ft.
Breeding them at my home has been extremely successful. This proves that all tarantulas are extremely adaptable to their current surroundings...even the floor.

Crax

Poecilotheria species in Sri Lanka are at 8,500 ft. and higher.
Poecilotheria at my home are at 300 ft.
Breeding them at my home has been extremely successful. This proves that all tarantulas are extremely adaptable to their current surroundings...even the floor.

I still think they do better up above the head and I would love to find some good reference books for pokie care instead of just basics. :D

MalePinkToe

Two points.
First, the remaining 1% of all living creatures managed to NOT BECOME EXTINCT. If you are still here you adapted! Given the four necessary components (Food Water Cover and in the Proper Arrangement), things live. Captive creatures (especially spiders) can perish from out-of-normal (for them) temperature and humidity. If it is alive and reproducing, it adapted.

Second,
Before we started putting them in jars and marveling at their uniqueness the local people killed them on sight, usually after they just cut down their habitat and more likely burned the area for a crop of some kind.

A reference of WILD Poecilotheria as of now would be a study of a destroyed Cover and Proper Arrangement and the adaptation (or failure to adapt) of the scattered stressed remaining spiders. Human structures in that part of the world tend to be single story sheds (hardly a colony supporting tree stand or forest). I would mention there are reports of few remaining tree dwellers living in slash piles and out buildings...that as before, are killed on sight.
A current study of CAPTIVE only spiders is likely to be missing the historical data. Very sad.

Solutions are the major cause of Problems.

MalePinkToe

It just seems to me, that a gentle trait (think wolf pup) may not be eliminated, evolution does take time, however. A a shy, passive, cute giant tree (shed) spider may just be spared. (think Labrador!) Adapt or perish. Or get away and stay away from The Humans !

Last edited:

Latest posts