• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how strong are tarantulas exactly..?

Grandsouls

I got a Sterilite tub for a soon to be here male Rose hair. Its the ones with a white snap on lid like the one pictured ( Exact same design just different size )
I use to keep smaller species of snakes in this type of tub, but they where in a shelf set up. Started thinking perhaps he would be able to push the middle part up enough to escape? Whats your opinion/have you kept tarantula in this container before?
Perhaps ill just put a small 1 or 2 pound weight or something on it to keep it safe.
4eaea9f863b6472da49f4053bff8f336.jpg

Thanks everyone!!!!!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've used these containers before, not for tarantulas, but the lids can warp out of shape. I wouldn't bother with it, personally if additional weights are a consideration.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I use exoterra enclosures if I want to make it a nice display. Kritter keeper enclosures are good for a more inexpensive option. Both have worked well for me

Grandsouls

I use exoterra enclosures if I want to make it a nice display. Kritter keeper enclosures are good for a more inexpensive option. Both have worked well for me

I would love either of those, just none available in my area unfortunately. Couldn't find right tub either, so will just use that for now till i can go an grab something else.

-19-

I've got a mature T. albopilosus in one. I just keep a decent sized hardback book on top of the lid so he can't shove it off.

spodermin

The spiders themselves can be very strong actually. They could almost surely push a book off an enclosure if they /really/ wanted to get out. As far as enclosures go though, the main concern is simply holes larger than the diameter of the carapace or screens (especially for certain species)

I've never had a spider escape an enclosure

Grandsouls

Ok sounds good everyone! Thank you.
No the holes are small and drilled on top of lid he is a mature male., I did lots as its a G Porteri, don't want moisture or humidity. I will observe him for a while, if need be ill place something on top but as far as know, and experience with my female, attempts at escape are pretty rare.

I will upgrade to a clip tub later on once I am able to get to the city.

I should be getting him on Wednesday or Thursday! Mighty excited hopefully my male accepts her!