• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much water do you give your terrestrial Ts?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We fill the small water dish in our B. albopilosum's enclosure every few days but he/she keeps covering it with substrate or webbing it over; and I keep cleaning it off and refilling it.

How should I interpret this behavior?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's perfectly normal behaviour. B. albos are always digging as slings and don't seem to care where the substrate goes so I'm sorry but you'll just have to keep on cleaning it out. :D Once they get bigger they stop digging so much but I find mine still get substrate in their bowls.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks @Enn49

Our T is over 2 years old so I've been interpreting the digging to mean it wants a bigger enclosure

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's its current home
a67c4c0e7ae5dfb99ffa7a86943f49bc.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could be a bit bigger. But not too awful small I don't think.
I have a 3 gallon glass fish tank sitting around I could rehome it to. Approx dimensions are 12" L x 6" W x 10" Tall that I would fill 2/3 with substrate and make a screen mesh top for.

Bigger than that?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a 3 gallon glass fish tank sitting around I could rehome it to. Approx dimensions are 12" L x 6" W x 10" Tall that I would fill 2/3 with substrate and make a screen mesh top for.

Bigger than that?

I would think so. That should be a good size for a curly hair. Although I get a little nervous with screen tops. A lot of people use them an have little to no trouble, but I have heard of a lot of spiders getting their claws stuck in em.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
B albopilosum appreciate some humidity as well btw. Closer to Lasiodora than most other Brachys.
A Lucite top as suggested, with holes no doubt, might be the best of both worlds, however I get concerned with mold when humidity is introduced into small containers without excellent ventilation. Thoughts?

Venom2090

3 Year Member
A Lucite top as suggested, with holes no doubt, might be the best of both worlds, however I get concerned with mold when humidity is introduced into small containers without excellent ventilation. Thoughts?

Add more ventilation. It's not tough with a soldering iron.

Mold is overrated. And most "mold" that people talk about is a harmless slime mold. Almost always because of coco fiber.

Even if there is some, just pick it out with tweezers. Just don't let it turn into a carpet.

Latest posts