• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much/often do I feed my Brachypelma albopilosum?

RuthieH27

3 Year Member
Unsure of age, and this is my first T ever so I’m just trying to figure out feeding... picture for size reference. Guesstimates on age welcomed as well as any feeding advice. I have full sized crickets. He ate two yesterday and one the day before. Just don’t want to over or under feed and the breeder just pretty much said feed until he stops eating

Attachments

• 93311B0D-B8DE-49FA-8133-2FF34B52456D.jpeg
    93311B0D-B8DE-49FA-8133-2FF34B52456D.jpeg
    651.2 KB · Views: 327

TheVez2

3 Year Member
No way to guess age. So many variables in how they grow, it's impossible to tell. There are lots of different feeding schedules. Usually one feeding of a few crickets per week is good. I tend to feed every few days until I run out of crickets, then go a few weeks before I buy more. They don't get regular scheduled meals in nature, so I kinda replicate that.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A good rule of thumb is 2x per week for slings, and once a week for juvies and adults. Best guess, you albipilosum (great looking T, BTW) is about 1 year of age if male and 1.5 years of age as a female. (Girls grow a bit slower). I have a specimen just like yours: 2 medium sized crickets per week works quite well. I hope this helps. You’ll love this forum. Everyone is quite helpful. Welcome to the addiction (kinda like tattoos)!!

RuthieH27

3 Year Member
A good rule of thumb is 2x per week for slings, and once a week for juvies and adults. Best guess, you albipilosum (great looking T, BTW) is about 1 year of age if male and 1.5 years of age as a female. (Girls grow a bit slower). I have a specimen just like yours: 2 medium sized crickets per week works quite well. I hope this helps. You’ll love this forum. Everyone is quite helpful. Welcome to the addiction (kinda like tattoos)!!
Thank you for the warm welcome! And yes, I can feel it already! I’m already eager for a Rosea! That’s what I initially had my heart set on. I can see some slings in my future ☺️

RuthieH27

3 Year Member
There’s soo many lol but I’d advise a Grammostola Pulchripes before a Rosea or Porteri :)
I’ll check those breeds out! Thanks for the suggestion. I know a lot of spider enthusiasts aren’t into the Rosea but I’ll let you in on a little secret ☺️ Spiders have been my biggest fear my whole life! I’ve been working on getting over it for a few years now and this beauty was the last step in that. I think it’s safe to say my fear is gone, but the boring/docile nature of the Rosea is what first made me fall in love. 2 days before I got this guy I held my first T! The sweetest Rosea ever ❤️ How is the temperament of the two species you suggested? Similar?

RuthieH27

3 Year Member
Also, I wasn’t really sure how to respond about the non-handling comment. My guy hasn’t been handled much and I know initially it will cause some slight stress but I need to go slow not just for him, but me as well. I know people who have had pet tarantulas in similar situations where they had to slowly socialize them but once the bond was made the spider LOVED being held. Would run up to her hand any time she put it into the tank to climb on. I’m hoping for that kind of relationship with this guy!

RuthieH27

3 Year Member
I’m not sure a T ever likes being handled per say but some can defo be handled, you’ll learn your own T before anyone else that dictates to you, just be careful :) A nudge on the butt is a good way to tell if a Grammy or brachy is relaxed.. If they immediately turn to you then nope but if they waddle on then you could guide them onto your hand but lie down on your belly so they can’t fall very far... This is an age old argument but some can be handled and I’d rather help than just say don’t do it coz most gonna do it anyway lol
This guy has never shown any signs of aggression! He just waddles along with little nudges! I super appreciate all the info!

RuthieH27

3 Year Member
Yeah P.Mets look just as good if not more to the naked eye... If you have money then there’s Robustum and basically most Pamphobeteous, Phormictopus if you get a male in latter two.. Here’s my Zelda
E07EhHo.jpg
Omg I’m IN LOVE! She is absolutely gorgeous! What species is she?!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just colour :) Porteri are brown and grey where’s Rosea have more light brown and pink carapace..

I've heard that many egg sacs from this species had both red and brown color forms which for a time led to them all being called G rosea.

So, did they change the name again?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also, I wasn’t really sure how to respond about the non-handling comment. My guy hasn’t been handled much and I know initially it will cause some slight stress but I need to go slow not just for him, but me as well. I know people who have had pet tarantulas in similar situations where they had to slowly socialize them but once the bond was made the spider LOVED being held. Would run up to her hand any time she put it into the tank to climb on. I’m hoping for that kind of relationship with this guy!

Spiders don't have a central brain or a cerebral cortex. This probably means they can't form long term memories or assess the behavior of others. Basically they're nature's living robots.

I've observed that when people handle, THEY become aware of the tarantula's quirks not the other way around. In any event, in my opinion, a catch cup and a paint brush are your friends, emergencies exempted of course!!

There are of course spiders that walk upon you without being guided. Chances are that they are cold and just looking for a warmer location. A large warm blooded object with a 98.6 internal temperature will do nicely!!

There's also a dirty trick that is going around with some unscrupulous individuals. They'll show you a "tame" animal that is really just chilled.

Example: the "selfie scorpion" which was at repticon just before I got it, winter and about maybe 63-65 degrees inside of the Baltimore fair grounds.

20170121_143251.jpg

Here she is in a proper enclosure at about 80 degrees where she needs to be.

Scorp badass3a.jpg

Do you see the difference? Strictly in my opinion, one should look but not touch. Besides, their natural behavior is fascinating. The same of course applies to spiders!!

Cam

3 Year Member
Can anyone help me with my B.albopilosums abdomen size? It looks almost too fat to me and I’m only feeding once a week so I don’t know if I should start feeding once every two weeks instead of just continue to feed once a week but this is my first tarantula so if anyone has some input it would help thanks

Attachments

• 39E38739-60B2-45B2-8E7E-2F38746DE443.jpeg
    39E38739-60B2-45B2-8E7E-2F38746DE443.jpeg
    875.3 KB · Views: 49

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Concur with Shampain, if your T’s abdomen is larger than its carapace AND it is a juvenile or adult—once every 2 weeks is quite reasonable. (There has been some suggestion which, I’m not sure I buy, that fat Ts (yours is not fat) can struggle to molt.)

Latest posts