• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many molts to grow back a leg and pedipalp in a tiny spiderling?

Jenniferinfl

So, I bought a P. victorii .75" inch sling a couple weeks ago and never really got a good look at it as it sprinted out of the vial it was in and into the new enclosure. In the pet store, it was in a sort of cloudy vial and I could see it was in there and alive, but, not really details.

It was finally out this evening and I realized it's missing one of the furthest back legs AND a pedipalp. Fortunately, I've only been feeding it hydei fruit flies which it seems to have no trouble at all catching and eating.

Does it likely have enough molts left to regrow the leg and pedipalp by adulthood?

I've never had one missing parts before. My guess is that a cricket got it. Exactly why I only feed crickets if I have time to sit and make sure they get them, otherwise it's just fruit flies for the little ones.

Tarantulafeets

When I first got my E murinus, it had 2 missing legs, and it as about .75 of an inch.
P1020547-01.jpeg

It then molted, and grew most of the leg back.
P1040997-01.jpeg

It then molted again and is now back to normal.
P1060691-01.jpeg

:)

Jenniferinfl

When I first got my E murinus, it had 2 missing legs, and it as about .75 of an inch.
View attachment 58747
It then molted, and grew most of the leg back.
View attachment 58748
It then molted again and is now back to normal.
View attachment 58749

:)
Nice! Thank you for the visual progression, that's helpful. I was starting to second guess myself this evening, my spouse likes to feed the T's and I was thinking, huh, wonder if he got the enclosures mixed up and gave this one a cricket. Fortunately, I try to take an intake photo of everything as it comes in. I didn't bother to transfer the photo I got because I knew it was blurry because it was just visible for a few moments before it hid. But, anyhow, blurry photo from when I rehoused it shows it missing a leg and pedipalp. So, at least I know it wasn't me and spouse doesn't have to even get scolded.. lol

I'm just so glad it can eat. This was a good lesson in looking a bit closer for expensive slings.. lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have an adult male P ornata that lost a rear leg. It molted, presumably penultimate, and half the leg grew back. I expect the net molt to be its ultimate and suspect the leg will be fully restored.

Your sling will be fine

Latest posts