• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Many Have Ever Found a Bombardier Beetle?

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
I have ever wanted to find one of these, but had no idea what part of the world they live.

Then one night two years ago, while sitting on the floor in my office/tarantula room in my basement, this little guy scurried across the carpet right in front of me.

The video explains the rest.

What I am curious to know is if anyone else has ever found one? Apparently they are fairly ubiquitous (save polar regions -- which I am not too far from in Saskatchewan, Canada).

I would LOVE to find one again.

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
I should add here that I have had so many comment that I was being cruel to this insect by using hot glue to affix it to the swab stick. This was LOW-TEMPERATURE hot glue, meaning that it is still tacky to the touch when it is just warm. The beetle was not injured in this and I was able to release it just fine.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I should add here that I have had so many comment that I was being cruel to this insect by using hot glue to affix it to the swab stick. This was LOW-TEMPERATURE hot glue, meaning that it is still tacky to the touch when it is just warm. The beetle was not injured in this and I was able to release it just fine.
you're still cruel :p j/k.

We called them farting beetles as kids. We had a willow grove on the other side of the neighbor's house where i grew up we would catch these in and make them "fart". Great memories, thanks for that! :D I haven't given these any thought as an adult. Unfortunately they bulldozed the willow grove back near my parents or i'd make a note to go looking again this spring to show my son. Now i'm curious if we can find any around here.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are all over along the Hassayampa River here in AZ (and probably lots of other areas as well). They seem to like wet places.
Yep, we'd catch them in the moist leaves at the base of the willow trees. Friend of mine has a some willows along a ditch bank in their back yard, have to go look there and see if we can find any :)

Kole G

3 Year Member
I found some of those when I was a kid. So there's some in canada! Found it under a rock or log I'm assuming

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk