• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long to wait before checking if it’s dead?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi all, I bought an Aphonopelma anax, which I found out was wild caught, from a well known dealer at a tarantula show back in January, when I put it in its new house it looked o.k but not exactly full of energy, it disappeared into its hide immediately and I haven’t seen it once, Its a real shame as it was a beauty,
Question is how long could I wait before actually going in and trying to find it. No point keeping the house going if it died months back but I don’t want to disturb it if it’s o.k, I literally haven’t seen it once and I check through the night on all my Ts. No substrate is moved overnight or burrows constructed. No food taken. No sign!!
Many thanks for any help.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all, I bought an Aphonopelma anax, which I found out was wild caught, from a well known dealer at a tarantula show back in January, when I put it in its new house it looked o.k but not exactly full of energy, it disappeared into its hide immediately and I haven’t seen it once, Its a real shame as it was a beauty,
Question is how long could I wait before actually going in and trying to find it. No point keeping the house going if it died months back but I don’t want to disturb it if it’s o.k, I literally haven’t seen it once and I check through the night on all my Ts. No substrate is moved overnight or burrows constructed. No food taken. No sign!!
Many thanks for any help.
Its fine, its either in premolt, or settling in, or both. Most likely. Try tempting it out with prey. Can you get a light shined into the hide? Or just lift it and peak?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi there, thanks, puts my mind at rest but I checked, I bought it on the 21st January so no sightings so far, almost 4 months, is that still o.k?
I might be able to have a peak, just didn’t want to risk hurting it if it’s normal for it to disappear for so long, I’ll let you know what I find.
Thank you for your help.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Yeah that's not unheard of especially with aphonopelma sp.
Thank you, that’s comforting to know too. It’s such a long time but I’ll hang in there then.
Sometimes when a spider hides for so long I spray the terrarium very good. Then check it during the night and it may surprise you with it’s present! :)
Thank you, that’s a good tip, I’ll try that tonight, and add food again and maybe it will surprise me, they are all in terrariums so I can see them, I have a flashlight that I keep so I get to look at all of them through the night so I’m always aware of what each of them is doing.
Thanks.

spodermin

Thank you, that’s comforting to know too. It’s such a long time but I’ll hang in there then.

Thank you, that’s a good tip, I’ll try that tonight, and add food again and maybe it will surprise me, they are all in terrariums so I can see them, I have a flashlight that I keep so I get to look at all of them through the night so I’m always aware of what each of them is doing.
Thanks.

I also find them more active when its warmer

Tabitha

3 Year Member
I also find them more active when its warmer
Hi there, thanks again, it has been cold here, sprayed it last night and added a locust but no show as yet, will pop a heat pad near the hide though.
How big is it??? Slings shouldn't stay gone for too long. A mature specimen can stay buried for a year or longer.
Thanks arachnoclown yes, i’d say sub adult, looks like I might have a long wait! Thanks for your advice.
OP said it's wildcaught so it can't really be a sling.

I've seen slings < 1" stay burried for in excess of 3 months (not to suggest it's regular, but possible, sure)
Thanks, all very useful info for building up my understanding of these creatures. Thank you.

spodermin

Oh I just read your replies again, I wouldn't put a heat pad near the hide, that might cook it. Put it far from the hide so it may come out seeking the heat source.

As far as the locust goes, be careful adding feeders if you havent seen it to know its its eating. If its not eating them, they could be eating it. If you have dubias available, they are a great alternative

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Oh I just read your replies again, I wouldn't put a heat pad near the hide, that might cook it. Put it far from the hide so it may come out seeking the heat source.

As far as the locust goes, be careful adding feeders if you havent seen it to know its its eating. If its not eating them, they could be eating it. If you have dubias available, they are a great alternative
Hi there, yes, I definitely should of said, it would be near it but not where it could heat it if it wasn’t able to get away, the hide is in one area so I know it isn’t hiding and burrowing anywhere else so placement would be a good distance from it.
Luckily I have locusts here so they are safe but I am aware that many of the feeders could damage the t if they get hungry enough, I only ever feed morio to hungry ready Ts and am always wary of them getting away and pinch the heads before adding them just Incase they don’t get eaten, thank you very much for your help,
I would not add any food and definitely no heat...
o.k, it’s getting warmer here anyway, I did add a locust but he’s still there but I will hook him out tomorrow anyway, so still no show...I’m not good at waiting as it is but I better get used to it!
Thanks all for your advice and I will post back when I know ..what’s in the box!

spodermin

Hi there, yes, I definitely should of said, it would be near it but not where it could heat it if it wasn’t able to get away, the hide is in one area so I know it isn’t hiding and burrowing anywhere else so placement would be a good distance from it.
Luckily I have locusts here so they are safe but I am aware that many of the feeders could damage the t if they get hungry enough, I only ever feed morio to hungry ready Ts and am always wary of them getting away and pinch the heads before adding them just Incase they don’t get eaten, thank you very much for your help,

o.k, it’s getting warmer here anyway, I did add a locust but he’s still there but I will hook him out tomorrow anyway, so still no show...I’m not good at waiting as it is but I better get used to it!
Thanks all for your advice and I will post back when I know ..what’s in the box!

Yeah on the subject of food I should have mentioned also: T's come out of their burrows when they're hungry to search for food. Starving it is a good way also to have it come out

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi all, just to show you who I saw today! “ it’s aalllivvvveee!!!”
After all these months, having bought it in January and never ever seeing it after it walled up the hide, here it is, the Aphonopelma anax, newly molted, probably very hungry as it took no food all these months and it’s quite the most beautiful creature! I’m very happy!
1A49EC5C-B96F-476A-BB75-2D086BE53B73.jpeg