1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how long to finish off a cricket?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Feeding and Feeder Insects' started by smallbike, Apr 8, 2018.

1. smallbike

smallbike Member

Hi, my A. Seemanni got a cricket last night around 7 pm, and as of noon today she hasn’t really moved and is still holding onto it. I feel like she usually doesn’t spend this much time eating so of course, being inexperienced, I’m worried. She doesn’t look like she’s actively consuming it; more like it’s just stuck to her mouth (hard to tell). Should I be worried, or is this just another spider quirk?
    ALD and Dave Jay like this.
  2. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

I've had them wrap them up and wait a day or so to eat them. I've even had Ts kill them and walk away. If she doesn't eat it that's fine...she might not be hungry. No worries...;)
    Dustin Amack, Dave Jay and smallbike like this.
  3. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

It can depend on the cricket/spider size ratio too. I fed my two smallest slings crickets about the same size as their bodies, which were the smallest crickets I could get, and one kept going back to feed for two days, the other finally wrapped it's up on the third morning. With those two they fed, left it for a bit then came back and fed again repeatedly before finally wrapping the remains up into a bolus. Maybe yours has been moving away and coming back to feed again? I doubt it's stuck to it.
    smallbike, Dustin Amack and ALD like this.
  4. ALD

ALD Active Member

Let it be. Let it do it's thing. I know it's hard because we love our critters and want to help.
    Really messing with them can do more harm than good.
    I agree with the two previous posts as well.
    Good luck :)
    smallbike, Dave Jay and Dustin Amack like this.
  5. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Active Member

Its probably not a serious issue (like the sucking stomach), they'll sometimes kill the prey and leave it if they're not hungry or just eat really slow.
    smallbike and Dave Jay like this.
  6. smallbike

smallbike Member

Thanks everyone! I figured leaving her alone and letting her do spider stuff was the best option, and the cricket was nowhere to be found about 24 hours later ;)
    Dave Jay likes this.