• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how long to finish off a cricket?

smallbike

3 Year Member
Hi, my A. Seemanni got a cricket last night around 7 pm, and as of noon today she hasn’t really moved and is still holding onto it. I feel like she usually doesn’t spend this much time eating so of course, being inexperienced, I’m worried. She doesn’t look like she’s actively consuming it; more like it’s just stuck to her mouth (hard to tell). Should I be worried, or is this just another spider quirk?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It can depend on the cricket/spider size ratio too. I fed my two smallest slings crickets about the same size as their bodies, which were the smallest crickets I could get, and one kept going back to feed for two days, the other finally wrapped it's up on the third morning. With those two they fed, left it for a bit then came back and fed again repeatedly before finally wrapping the remains up into a bolus. Maybe yours has been moving away and coming back to feed again? I doubt it's stuck to it.

ALD

3 Year Member
Let it be. Let it do it's thing. I know it's hard because we love our critters and want to help.
Really messing with them can do more harm than good.
I agree with the two previous posts as well.
Good luck :)

smallbike

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I figured leaving her alone and letting her do spider stuff was the best option, and the cricket was nowhere to be found about 24 hours later ;)

Latest posts