• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How fat is my T?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I am still getting used to what is 'normal' in each T, but I find myself one minute thinking I've over-fed, and the next thinking I've under-fed.

Does Bellatrix here look skinny, healthy or fat? I am not sure how big the abdomen is meant to be in relation to the rest of the body.

I get confused with regards to feeding advice in the books, as there seems to be no 'easy' advice, obviously with it depending on the Ts size/age and then the size of the prey. As it says 'no food bigger than the abdomen', I figured that feeding them the size of their abdomen should be okay? So I have been feeding Bellatrix about her abdomen's size worth of red runners once per week, so 2 or 3 depending on the roach size.

Attachments

• CIMG4644.JPG
    CIMG4644.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 16

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No hard and fast rule.. We offer all our Ts food each week - unless they are fat or in premoult - bellatrix looks a healthy size to me.. Plus I remember that she moulted not to long ago so she's got good condition :)
In terms of the feeding 'something no bigger than there abdomen' I don't agree with that,weve got miniscule slings that eat feeders as big as they are themselves - of course if a sling will take a feeder alive then great but otherwise prekilled prey of a reasonable size is no trouble,
I think the main thing is you get to know your own Ts likes and dislikes the longer you have them :) I do find it amusing that we know that each one has its favourite feeders and who the fussy ones are and the ones from week to week you know are just not going to eat but you find your feeding pattern that works for you and your Ts - sounds like you are doing just fine :)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
No hard and fast rule.. We offer all our Ts food each week - unless they are fat or in premoult - bellatrix looks a healthy size to me.. Plus I remember that she moulted not to long ago so she's got good condition :)
In terms of the feeding 'something no bigger than there abdomen' I don't agree with that,weve got miniscule slings that eat feeders as big as they are themselves - of course if a sling will take a feeder alive then great but otherwise prekilled prey of a reasonable size is no trouble,
I think the main thing is you get to know your own Ts likes and dislikes the longer you have them :) I do find it amusing that we know that each one has its favourite feeders and who the fussy ones are and the ones from week to week you know are just not going to eat but you find your feeding pattern that works for you and your Ts - sounds like you are doing just fine :)

Thanks for the reply and thoughts! Yup she did moult not too long ago - since recovering from that she has eaten all of her meals :)

Yeah, although my book did say no bigger than their abdomen, I have tried some slings on mealworms bigger than that and watch them - indeed some of them take them fine, others don't like them so I try something smaller. Getting to know the individual sounds like a good plan.

Leta who is a juvenile hadn't eaten in about 2 months, but I am glad I have been offering her it once per week as today all of a sudden she ate again! Even though I had assumed she was waiting to moult (she still hasn't moulted).

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply and thoughts! Yup she did moult not too long ago - since recovering from that she has eaten all of her meals :)

Yeah, although my book did say no bigger than their abdomen, I have tried some slings on mealworms bigger than that and watch them - indeed some of them take them fine, others don't like them so I try something smaller. Getting to know the individual sounds like a good plan.

Leta who is a juvenile hadn't eaten in about 2 months, but I am glad I have been offering her it once per week as today all of a sudden she ate again! Even though I had assumed she was waiting to moult (she still hasn't moulted).
It's always good to offer the ones that you think are not going to eat some food as like you say they sometimes surprise you and suddenly eat :) we had that reaction last week as all our hamorii's had been refusing food and last week all of them ate which was a big surprise :)
Some slings are scared of certain prey items and like to feed on very small feeders as that what makes them comfortable.. I think we fuss over them too much lol :rolleyes:
Obviously how Ts feed can be species dependant too as some species are known for not eating for months on end and this is perfectly normal and something you get used to overtime :)
Good luck with all your little babies

Gizalba

3 Year Member
It's always good to offer the ones that you think are not going to eat some food as like you say they sometimes surprise you and suddenly eat :) we had that reaction last week as all our hamorii's had been refusing food and last week all of them ate which was a big surprise :)
Some slings are scared of certain prey items and like to feed on very small feeders as that what makes them comfortable.. I think we fuss over them too much lol :rolleyes:
Obviously how Ts feed can be species dependant too as some species are known for not eating for months on end and this is perfectly normal and something you get used to overtime :)
Good luck with all your little babies

The hamoriis all got the notice that the group-fast was terminated ahaha :p thank you

Latest posts