• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you feed a Tarantula that has a burrow deep underneath the bottom of the enclosure a superworm?

ryanm7277

The opening to the burrow is at the other corner of the enclosure….super worms dig in dirt so do I just smush the head a little bit and drop in the burrow and hope the dead guy gets it’s attention?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

ryanm7277

so picture a square....it's burrow is in one corner then he dug down then all the way over to the edge of the otherside of the enclosure then all the to the otherside, so he is way the hell in a hole, I don't even think he will feel the vibration to be hones

MBullock

3 Year Member
He will feel the vibration. they make a silk mat around the entrance of their burrow.

In the wild they also add 'trip-lines' to alert them of prey walking by from quite a distance- two feet is the longest ive seen it, I learnt this when i noticed they were detecting me from unusual distances in the wild when i'd hunt them.

At first i thought I was scaring them, but it ended up being them preparing to ambush, as they would quickly re-orient and creep to the entrance. They can also detect the heartbeat of the prey item, as well. their trichobothriae (sensory hairs) are super duper sensitive and can detect air currents and pulses.

Sometimes when i "tickle" the tarantula out it takes quite a while, indicating the spider was extremely deep in the burrow.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hmmm, would the T be able to sense a superworm left decapitated in front of its burrow? The superworms do sometimes still move especially when you touch the superworm again. But even if it doesn't move do they sometimes check their front door?