• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do I know when to feed in relation to a molt?

Arirang

Hello, all!

I recently got an Arizona desert blonde named Galadriel who is in pre-molt (losing hairs on her osthosoma). The breeder who gave her to me said she is definitely fasting, so I haven't fed her. I was wondering how long after the molt I need to wait for the new exoskeleton to harden so I can feed her.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
For me this has varied depending on many factors. Temperature, size and species being the primary ones. My 10 year old large adult female G. pulchra might go 4 weeks without eating pre-molt and 2-3 weeks post molt. Outside out this now annual occurrence, she's pretty ravenous. Some of my tiny slings are ready to eat 48 hours after a molt, and maybe sooner, but I'm not in a hurry.

If we are talking about an adult spider, I'd wait at least a couple of weeks after molt and then offer food. If she doesn't eat it, remove it and try again after a few days. Make sure drinking water is always available.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The general rule is to wait until the fangs are black then try feeding.