• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How big is too big.

TheFlash

So I just got these dubia roaches since my decent sized LASIODORA is eating a lot. I dropped one adult in and she took it. But it's huge. I'm Wondering. Is it possible they are too big for her? What happens if the feeder is too large... Can it harm her? I'm just worried for her now cuz these are like 5 of the last feeders even though she would down 5 of those a week.
2x 2-3 times a week. But it's so big this one. Is it like... When she's full she'll stop eating?

Help appreciated
Spence

Nunua

3 Year Member
Tarantulas are opportunistic eaters, so they keep eating whenever there is a prey item because in the wild they sometimes need to wait for long times to decent size feeders to come by. For a wild tarantula, this instinct is a vital condition.

However, as you can guess, tarantula does not know it's living in captivity. It keeps following the instincts and eats whenever there is food around. At one point they get full - almost better to say, fat. When in this condition, tarantula usually stops eating because the abdomen gets big and tight. After that the only thing it can do is to wait for the new exoskeleton to grow.

Oversize abdomen is a very potential risk for a tarantula. For example, the possibility of ruptures (internal and external) increases exponentially - You can think of a water balloon. At one point the balloon gets so stretched that even the smallest impact breaks it. I think that @Arachnoclown has said he lost some slings because of an internal ruptures, most likely caused by a fat abdomen. If it wasn't his slings, then he at least knew people with such incidence.

Because of this all, we keepers need to regulate when and how much our tarantulas eat. It's important to remember, that these creatures don't need food as much and often as mammals etc. So for your question if your LP will stop eating when she's full - Most likely yes, but at that point she'd be too fat to eat. Fresh water is more important to have around all the time - There is too little food only if the abdomen starts shrinking. Therefore it's better to give well gut-loaded prey items less often to provide nutrients, than keep throwing in feeders "just to keep a rhythm". Tarantulas have no meal times in the wild either :D

And btw, no need to panic now that your T will now suddenly die because of eating too much - I don't know how big she currently is, but I assume she has a plump (or already fat) abdomen, so you can decrease the feeding times drastically. The T won't think anything bad of you ;) Also, I'm pretty sure that many of us keepers have been in a same / similar situation. It's "weird" for us humans to keep feeding a pet only every now and then, so overfeeding is a common thing to do with creatures that are not like the common house pets.

Tarantulas teach us patience on so many levels - Growing, feeding, hiding...

Last edited:

RonC

3 Year Member
Some of my slings were looking a little obese so I cut them back to once a week. Others I wish they would open their burrow and eat. Offering smaller prey items may be another option.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Nunua yes...I've lost some slings from internal ruptures more then likely caused by over feeding. Now they may have fallen or what not I don't know...it wouldn't have been more then a inch or two anyways. They will gorge themselves to a point. I dont chance it anymore...if their nice and plump I dont feed them anymore. I just wait for a molt to come. As for size of the prey item for a hungry skinny tarantula...it depends on the tarantula. Most say not to exceed the size of the carapace and abdomen. This is probably the best guideline. For aggressive large slings and juveniles like a Gbb, LP, or my favorite B. Sabulosum I'll give them roaches the same size they are and watch the show. In the picture is a 2" B. Sabulosum sling taking down a adult redrunner. This sling may not get another meal after this...I'll have to look at its abdomen. It may get a smaller roach or none at all. This sling will be feed again in two weeks. I feed all my Ts over 2" every 2 weeks. Anything smaller then 2"once a week. Mammoth spiders over 6" eat every 3 weeks.
20190127_114751.jpg

Latest posts