• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

House Spider Egg Sax - Advice?

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
So i have a house spider egg sac in a jar. My sister couldn't stand to let it hatch and insisted that my other sister and I contain it. I can't find much resources online, so I've done what i could based in what i know about tarantula breeding. The egg sac was slightly damaged but the eggs inside are fine. They're still young and white, they don't seem to have any legs. They're on a bed of slightly most paper towels. I also have no clue what the species is, but the egg sac was very soft.

So, I don't know much to do after this, and any advice advice would be appreciated.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Personally id try to keep them in the same conditions you found them. Mama usually knows best. Just a guess, though.

The conditions are similar to what they were before, just with less web. The eggs so far look the same/as expected.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I depends on what type of house spider...house spiders where I'm at bite. I wouldn't hatch them if You paid me. Your not giving alot of info or pics of a mature spider. I'd suggest leaving them in the same area in a well ventilated container.

Last edited:

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I depends on what type of house spider...house spiders where I'm at bite. I wouldn't hatch them if You paid me. Your not giving alot of info or pics of a mature spider. I'd suggest leaving them in the same area in a well ventilated container.

I live in Wyoming, and around here the spiders usually stay small, and the only dangerous ones are black widows and brown recluse. I looked up a list of Wyoming spiders and so far haven't found anything too promising. It could be a Utah spider as well.

The mother is currently hiding, and I can't get get a good picture. I'll upload one when I can.

She's dark brown, and the most defining feature is a very large, round abdomen.

Here is the vague silhouette i got so far:

IMG_20180113_142958_kindlephoto-109056641.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She looks like the common backyard spiders we have here in South Texas. I don't know the proper name for them. They'll bite if harrased but it doesn't hurt much, just itches for a minute.
Edit: They tend to make a very large web between objects outside and sit right in the middle. But the ones here have a big pale abdomen, yours looks blackish. Could be cousins as far as shape though.

Last edited:

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
She looks like the common backyard spiders we have here in South Texas. I don't know the proper name for them. They'll bite if harrased but it doesn't hurt much, just itches for a minute.
Edit: They tend to make a very large web between objects outside and sit right in the middle. But the ones here have a big pale abdomen, yours looks blackish. Could be cousins as far as shape though.

What I found so far that looked similar (body shape-wise) were orb weavers and comb-footed spiders. I don't think she's either of them because she doesn't make the webs like an orb weaver (she made some very small but thick webs, and they weren't pretty like an orb weaver web, they're a bit messy), and she doesn't have the pattern on her abdomen like a comb-footed spider (or the general leg shape).

Here's a picture of the underside of her that I just took.

Also she is a very dark brown. She looks lighter here because it's the underside.

DSC06920.JPG

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I have suddenly remembered about the egg sac. I see what appears to be seven babies (scattered), a "melted"-looking egg sac, and many tiny dark specks that might be mold of some kind. I have no idea what to feed them, when to feed them, or what to do with them at all. Any suggestions?

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I have just checked and supposedly mold is very dangerous to tarantulas, so I assume it is for baby house spiders too. I'll try to get them out.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
I checked, and so far every one is alive. I removed most of the mold, and put three in another container.