• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hornworm after molt yummy1

mschemmy

thumbnail_IMG_5154.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
They are probably pretty good after a molt as they have a high moisture content, but appear to have maybe half the protein content as superworms or crickets.

Some feeder breeders websites have charts comparing nutrients of feeder insects. Reptifiles.com has one.

These insects compared are usually well fed/ gutloaded.

In the past I have relied too much on superworms which are considered a fattier food. But they are easy to care for and when served prekilled still wriggle a little.

Horn worms grow too fast for me and I don’t have the need for enough to make it cost efficient.

MidnightArachnids

Tarantula Club Member
They are probably pretty good after a molt as they have a high moisture content, but appear to have maybe half the protein content as superworms or crickets.

Some feeder breeders websites have charts comparing nutrients of feeder insects. Reptifiles.com has one.

These insects compared are usually well fed/ gutloaded.

In the past I have relied too much on superworms which are considered a fattier food. But they are easy to care for and when served prekilled still wriggle a little.

Horn worms grow too fast for me and I don’t have the need for enough to make it cost efficient.

Great info, thank you!

Latest posts