• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Horned baboon sling

lews r.a.d

Also in the process of purchasing the Borneo orange fringed I found myself purchasing a horned baboon sling and I’m unsure to the type as the Latin name was specified. I know it sounds amateur but what would the care be for the slings of the species and is all care the same for each type of horned baboon spider? Even any tips on adults would be good as I do want to keep this species but just bought it in the heat of the moment without any real research. I know what to expect with behaviours as with any old worlds but I don’t know how to care for the poor thing. In my care he has eaten once so he is living but I don’t know if it’s right. I’ll stop going now but please feel free to drop me any advice

Kazegal

Hello and welcome here! For future reference it would be better for you to use the scientific names rather than the common names. For now I will assume you are talking about Ceratogyrus marshalli. If so, this is a fossorial spider, an obligate burrower. Make sure it has plenty of soil to dig in and make a tunnelsystem. No need to provide a waterdish for a tarantula this small, just make sure the enclosure doesn't fully dry out.

You can usually follow this advice for any slings, even those of arboreal species, as they all tend to burrow during this stage of their life.

I currently have a C. marshalli sling myself and this is how it has built its cup:
9lFqAe1.jpg

The vial was from when it was smaller. The spider wasn't visible during the rehousing, so I just put that in there and it became part of the enclosure.

5fZMHfJ.jpg

lews r.a.d

Hello and welcome here! For future reference it would be better for you to use the scientific names rather than the common names. For now I will assume you are talking about Ceratogyrus marshalli. If so, this is a fossorial spider, an obligate burrower. Make sure it has plenty of soil to dig in and make a tunnelsystem. No need to provide a waterdish for a tarantula this small, just make sure the enclosure doesn't fully dry out.

You can usually follow this advice for any slings, even those of arboreal species, as they all tend to burrow during this stage of their life.

I currently have a C. marshalli sling myself and this is how it has built its cup:
9lFqAe1.jpg

The vial was from when it was smaller. The spider wasn't visible during the rehousing, so I just put that in there and it became part of the enclosure.

5fZMHfJ.jpg
Okay Thankyou so much for this help I think auto correct made it a little bit unclear as it changed a few words but you were still able to get what I was trying to say. I think it’s a C.Marshalli however it wasn’t specified on the vial it came on so I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Are all of the horned baboons the same care method when they get to a more prominent size or do they vary a little bit more. I will bare that in mind and use scientific names from now on.

thankyou

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to our forum family!

Keep your substrate dry for African terrestrials. If it's a small sling keep a dab of damp moss, otherwise always a water dish.

And post pics!