• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Honey bees

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Many years ago in the beginning, that was the idea.
Now they're just pets. I did get a box last year because the hive was too full.
Very cool. Dont see many honey bees around anymore unfortunately. I mostly see bumble bees and yellow jackets up here in the north where I am. Not to keen on the yellow jackets tho, speical since one decided to sting me in the ear last summer. How long have you been keeping then for?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
my wife and I like to grow garden fruits and vegetables and some flowers.. I've always wanted to start a hive.. an army of pollenators in your yard has to be great and I do enjoy honey and as IamKrush said honeybees are on the decline so a hive would be a solid win/win all around

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The honey bees look awesome but I always have been tempted to try wasps! Used to be on a forum with avid bee and wasp collectors before it went defunct. Cant' convince my wife on the wasps in the house (yet) but think the honey bees could be a nice bridge? ;)

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Well Denny, I'm at war with wasps at least yellow jackets. If you raise bees you may too.
They'll go in a honey bee hive and drag out the larve, to feed to their young.
Had a very large wasp nest in the wood pile one year.
Full screen is best

Last edited:

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Good luck with that Denny- this may help your cause.;)
Servings: unknown
Classification: Traditional Nation/Tribe: Cherokee & Other Eastern Cultures

Ingredients
Ground-dwelling yellow jackets
Directions Although the mention of "yellowjacket soup" immediately raises an eyebrow on those unaccustomed to such a food, it is actually a delicacy and should not be criticized until tried. Only the bravest should dare to try this dish!! Secure an entire nest of ground dwelling yellowjackets when it is full of grubs. Loosen all the uncovered grubs by heating and removing them. Heat the nest with the remaining grubs over a fire until the thin, paper-like covering parches. Pick out the yellowjackets and brown them over the fire. Cooked the browned yellowjackets in boiling water to make soup and season to taste.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:eek::confused:!!!!

As a general rule, I don't eat my pets. But good to know in case it ever gets to that point! ;)