• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Home Depot Top Soil Brand

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
I was wondering if someone could help me here.

I finally have reached the point where buying just coco fiber is not cost effective.

Can anyone recommend a brand name of top Soil I can get from Home Depot to use for my T's? I plan on mixing it with coco fiber, vermiculite, (if I can find it) and sphagnum moss.

I'm getting up to the much larger size in enclosures so now comes the switch to cost effective substrate.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I mix equal parts coco fiber and peat moss then mix in some play sand and cut in some sphagnum moss.
Tom Moran details this in his DIY avic enclosure video. He adds vermiculite.

A bag of each will set you back $40 total and will fill a few dozen enclosures.

Many people use commercial soil. Make sure it's free of pesticides and fertilizers, specifically manure.

You can get creative with "filling" enclosures by an inverted box for non-burrowers under the substrate to raise the floor level without using substrate. Lots of options.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
WOOHOO!!!!!
Found this 12 Qt. bag at Home Depot for $4.97 so I bought 4 bags, all I need.

There's no fertilizer or manure in it. Read the bag and checked online as I can for more details, it's good.

Attachments

• 20200528_145731.jpg
    20200528_145731.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Ok, just finished rehousing my T. albo with the new substrate.

This new substrate packs down the same as pure coco fiber. There is just slightly a little more spongyness to it, (I know spongyness not a word and if it is I spelled it wrong).There is no large pieces to sift out A+ on that.

Will monitor over the next couple of days to see how the T. albo reacts to this new substrate. He has only been on 100% coco fiber since I bought him.

Had to rehouse as his enclosure was getting funky. This twirp puts all the bolouses at the back in his burrow so never been able to remove them.

Once I had him in my catch cup I inspected him for mites and he appears clean of the Corona parasites.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some people nuke their substrate before using it, I do not. Well...

I did once, for too long, and set it on fire lol had to throw that microwave away, the burnt hair smell never dissipated.

Latest posts