• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hognose snake

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For some reason, I think a hognose snake would be an interesting pet. I'm sure that morphs exist, but if actually prefer the wild type coloration but captive bred.

Cost availability and so on are things I've had a hard time finding out. I've encountered some info on the morphs, but they are hundreds of dollars.

Previously as a youngster, I had a black rat snake. It was simple the care for, no extra heat, full water dish feed and clean every 2 weeks.

I caught that one at a local creek after digging him out by hand at the tender age of 10. Sadly enough, it died shorty after I was 20.

A hognose should be a little smaller and more interesting.

If I went forward with it, the timeline would be about 6 months to a year for financial reasons.

Also, I'd have to think about whether or not to get more tarantulas.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hognoses are adorable snakes but bear in mind that they are rear fanged and slightly venomous. Normally a bite will be harmless but if you should get a wet bite it could cause swelling to your hand and arm and it could cause a reaction that can lead to worse problems.
Having said that as long as you are forewarned they make great pets, I used to breed them. At feeding time use tongs to offer food as they love their food although they can fast for long periods around breeding time.

When threatened as hatchlings they will huff at you, if that doesn't scare you off they will roll over and play dead giving off a slight smell of rotting meat
Hoggies playing dead.JPG

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm aware that they're rear fanged snakes but not aware of any human fatalities or hospitalizations. I've heard that the bluffing and threat display etc cease once they get used to human interaction.

With the rear fangs, do they need the same credentials that a more venomous snake such as a Coral snake would require?

I was planning on using mechanics puncture resistant gloves or tactical anti needle stick police gloves when working close to it.

How much do the wild form morphs cost?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm in the UK so I can't help with credentials or price but in the UK they are not on the DWA list.
To my knowledge there have been no deaths from Hognose venom. Some people can have an allergic reaction to the venom that can end in hospitalisation and on rare occasions lasting effects. A friend of mine suffered a reaction, was in hospital for 3 weeks and now has a reduced immune system. This is extremely rare so don't be put off getting one. I kept and bred them for years and most bites I suffered were due to their feeding response, hence me advising tongs, and in all that time I only got 1 wet bite when my hand and arm swelled.

Latest posts