• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hobby conundrums

Steve123

3 Year Member
How do you all feel about wild-caught (WC) versus captive-bred (CB)? Do you know any species that is sustained in the hobby by WC collection?

Edit 2.20.2016 (10:24 p.m. EST): Do you know of any species in your collection that is WC, or at least stands a high chance of being WC?

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm for CB. Leave the WC in the wild where they belong. Of course we have to capture some to keep them around as their habitats are destroyed by us. So rather than have a species go extinct capture some and get a successful mate and raise the sac, then repeat to replenish the numbers. At least in my perfect world that's how it should be done ;)

I hate the youtube videos of the amatures capturing wild Ts. leave it to the pros and the breeders and scientists to fix the mess of some of these chaotic genus.

Steve123

3 Year Member
I'm for CB. Leave the WC in the wild where they belong. Of course we have to capture some to keep them around as their habitats are destroyed by us. So rather than have a species go extinct capture some and get a successful mate and raise the sac, then repeat to replenish the numbers. At least in my perfect world that's how it should be done ;)
Not sure I could have stated my opinion any better. Yes, with some exceptions of course, the bulk of Alphonopelma spp. offered for sale in the US (I'm assuming most of those videos are of US origin @kormath) are probably WC, derived from a "lucky sac" (gravid WC female,) or wild-collected sac.

So far:
Aphonopelma chalcodes and other Aphonopelma spp.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not sure I could have stated my opinion any better. Yes, with some exceptions of course, the bulk of Alphonopelma spp. offered for sale in the US (I'm assuming most of those videos are of US origin @kormath) are probably WC, derived from a "lucky sac" (gravid WC female,) or wild-collected sac.

So far:
Aphonopelma chalcodes and other Aphonopelma spp.
Yep they are, the videos anyway, no idea on what's for sale here. I bought a 3"+ female from Ken, i'm hoping it's not a WC getting ready to drop an egg sac lol. I'd have to ship the egg sac to someone that has a clue what to do with one. Ken's website doesn't indicate WC or CB.

For lack of better terminology right at the moment, some moron in California has a bunch of vids of him flushing burrows out with water to catch the wild Ts there.

Steve123

3 Year Member
Yep they are, the videos anyway, no idea on what's for sale here. I bought a 3"+ female from Ken, i'm hoping it's not a WC getting ready to drop an egg sac lol. I'd have to ship the egg sac to someone that has a clue what to do with one. Ken's website doesn't indicate WC or CB.
I'm pretty sure in many instances the vendor doesn't know, having been provided the specimen(s) from someone else, who may have claimed captive bred.

For lack of better terminology right at the moment, some moron in California has a bunch of vids of him flushing burrows out with water to catch the wild Ts there.
I take it your impression is he is neither tarantula scientist nor breeder, lol.

Steve123

3 Year Member
Oh okay, a 3-inch Aphonopelma chalcodes, female, for $39.99. Factors to consider: A slow growing species, widely disseminated in the US southwest, not the easiest to breed. More than anything, however, I'm thinking the price gives away her origin.

Steve123

3 Year Member
I'm in the same bucket. I have two adult female A. chalcodes originally from Ken. I've had them for years and they are in excellent health, beautiful specimens. I didn't even know the issue of WC versus CB when I bought them. Anyway, now, with plans for breeding I bought a male, but he just up and died. I will be revisiting Ken for purchase of a more males.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always buy CB if possible as there is less chance of infection / parasites but there does need to be a certain amount of WC in the hands of breeders to replenish stocks.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am not as strongly opposed to it as I once was. I have seen videos of natives gathering 100's of T's in the wild in a single day just to eat them o_O. I think the answer is it "depends" on a lot of captive. Obviously captive bred eliminates all those issues so if you can find your species, all the same things being equal, CB wins.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am not as strongly opposed to it as I once was. I have seen videos of natives gathering 100's of T's in the wild in a single day just to eat them o_O. I think the answer is it "depends" on a lot of captive. Obviously captive bred eliminates all those issues so if you can find your species, all the same things being equal, CB wins.
Hey @Denny Dee How come you got to have a pretty long signature and I don't?

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
I would certainly choose cb over wc. And my idea since ken is selling the females. If you've ordered one. Why not try breeding the female. A chalcodes don't seem very common in collections. Providing cb probably would get a lot of us buying.
That being said I am not completely opposed. But it would be sad if it gets to the point were we collect more wc faster than they reproduce naturally.

Latest posts