• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hmm...molting or something else?

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
My rosie has this odd spot on her abdomen. It's been there for a few weeks. She's eating fine, though the last feed she was a little picky. It took her three times longer than normal to eat her crickets, and she wrapped the first two up to save for later. I've seen her sitting in a few odd positions lately. She'll stretch out like an ornamental or move her front few legs in a strange motion. The first time she did that I thought that she was chewing or having a stroke, haha. I'm keeping it humid and around seventy or higher in her room. No lights directly on her. She seems happy. Moves around and stays in plain sight all the time. So, other than this odd patch on her abdomen, I'm not seeing molting behavior...but this is my first T.

I took a pic of her abdomen while I was giving her fresh water and such this morning. It's a bit blurry, but she was already pissed at me for invading her home. I didn't want to get too close. She's a jumpy one. Well, she's completely mental. Great personality. Take a look at this and tell me what it is. It wasn't there when I first bought her almost two months back. I think that she's almost full grown, now that I've seen her so much. Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_1994.JPG
    IMG_1994.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

kyahalhai08

3 Year Member
interesting behavior...does she tap the ground/walls with her forelegs? it could be that she is looking to attract a mate if she is mature.

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
That might be it. She likes to splay out on the glass of her tank or sometimes she'll put a few legs on it. I'm going to keep an eye on her to see what happens, especially with her eating habits.

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
I use the eco-bricks. Like I said, her behavior isn't really a concern. I just noticed that she has a balding area in the shape of a half moon right now. I've compared pictures of her, and the one here doesn't really do it justice. All I know is that she didn't have the spot before and it's getting bigger and balder by the day. My girlfriend said that it could be that she's kicking hairs. Daisy is a wee nervous, but I haven't seen or heard that myself. See, I'm going on a trip for at least a week in a little while, and I just want to be sure that Daisy isn't going to molt while I'm away. My housemates won't deal with her at all, and so it wouldn't be good if she's in such a vulnerable state without me around. But, Daisy is my first T, so she's kind of like my first child. I have no clue what I'm doing half the time and I panic over the slightest things. Could just be new-mom syndrome here...lol

Tguy

3 Year Member
she's been kicking for sure...looks like the abdomen is starting to darken ..is the spot getting bigger?... can you get a clear pic ?...before a molt they will make a spot in the enclosure with heavy web and and kick off some hairs she can go anytime after the rump turns black..if that's what i'm seeing??...and if your friends won't go near than that's a good thing when they are molting...go enjoy your trip and she will be fine ....make sure waterdish is full :)

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
I'll try to get a better shot of her when I can. The other day she laid a big web on the top, flat part of her half-log. I thought that she was going to wrap the cricket in it, but she didn't. The silk is still there, but it's not as heavy as it was. She spends most of her time on the log, so I think that it's probably worn down a bit. Tomorrow is the feed day, so I'll have to see how she reacts to food. Last time, she didn't seem too thrilled to eat. She eventually did, but usually she's vicious...goes right for her prey like nobody's business. As for her abdomen, the bald spot is growing and there's a black, bumpy part right next to it. I'll try to get a pic without scaring her half to death some time before I feed her tomorrow. Thanks!

Tguy

3 Year Member
it's the black spot i'm wondering about...is it getting bigger ?..if not that could be why she's kicking...as far as eating they are just weird like that they can go for long periods of time without food no worries just keep a full waterdish

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
It does appear to be getting bigger. I took a few more pictures of it tonight with a light on her...that's when you can really see the white/bald ring and the bumpy black part. This one shows it the best.

Attachments

• IMG_2020.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

Tguy

3 Year Member
that's not premolt that's a mirror patch...all gramys have them :) look at my freshly molted Grammostola Pulchirpes

Attachments

• IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 7

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
I got you. I've never heard that before, but I've heard that there are patches when they molt. Guess I just jumped to conclusions. Thanks so much for the info. But, it does look like she's flicked because the white part was never there or at least I didn't notice it. Any way that I can keep her from flicking too much? She is nervous by nature, but I'd like her to be comfortable.

Latest posts