• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hissing roach babies

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
So, I took the guys word and didn't bother to learn to sex my daughter's hissers. He said it was 2 females. Well... I have a deli container with about 40 1/4" hisser babies in it. I'm not equipped for this. Luckily I can feed them off
20211013_202401.jpg

Anyone want to pick some up for free in the Nebraska panhandle?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just a thought, but have you had them around 2 months, or less? If so they may be female. Roaches do not gestate, they have no uterus, they lay an egg sack, however, hissers carry the egg sacks within them, so if you have purchased those hissers within the past 60 -70 days, then they may have bred before you got them.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
So, on inspection they both appear female. Which I'm guessing means I'm just not seeing something. But if they are makes the babies more mysterious

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, on inspection they both appear female. Which I'm guessing means I'm just not seeing something. But if they are makes the babies more mysterious
They can hold sperm and use it when they want (I think). I believe they can have multiple clutches. I'm not totally positive though. My female hissers kept pumping out babies and the males I keep separated from the females.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
They can hold sperm and use it when they want (I think). I believe they can have multiple clutches. I'm not totally positive though. My female hissers kept pumping out babies and the males I keep separated from the females.
That would make sense. Like I said, they appear female and weve had them just short of a year. Think it's possible

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine all just live together in a big happy family :)
Males are territorial and will fight. Too many males tend to be chaotic for the colony. Ive found numerous dead males in my colony all with missing legs and body damage. I also have a huge feeder colony so if I don't take males out its a hiss fest in my room.

I only leave a few males in my colony. I keep a few in separate small enclosures and alternate them in and out. The others I feed off to my large spiders.

x_raphael_xx

Males are territorial and will fight. Too many males tend to be chaotic for the colony. Ive found numerous dead males in my colony all with missing legs and body damage. I also have a huge feeder colony so if I don't take males out its a hiss fest in my room.

I only leave a few males in my colony. I keep a few in separate small enclosures and alternate them in and out. The others I feed off to my large spiders.
I currently just have one male, two females and a bunch of babies.
Thanks for this info, I'll look at separating once they start getting bigger. I don't have enough big spoods to feed them off to just yet, but I do have a hungry beardie who loves a dubia.
What sort of size do you separate? My babies are around 2cm at the moment.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for this info, I'll look at separating once they start getting bigger. I don't have enough big spoods to feed them off to just yet, but I do have a hungry beardie who loves a dubia.
When they are 7cm +. You'll know when they start hissing and fighting. Until then you'll be fine to keep them together with one dominant male.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

You can feed the babies to smaller T's.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thats true. I did put a baby in an enclosure yesterday, but the spood wasn’t hungry. And now its in an awkward position and I can’t get it back :)

Always crush the head of roaches. They will still move & will live for 24-48 hours with ease.

Latest posts