• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hides vs burrows

Tarantulateeth

Hello everyone

My gorgeous little G. pulchra arrived today, and what a beauty! They're white small, between 2-3cm atm. I've got them in what I suppose is a small deli dish, with plenty ventilation holes, and plenty substrate for burrowing (if they want to) I've a tiny tiny water bowl that is ridiculously shallow (so it doesn't drown itself, but open to removing and misting as required if necessary---- according to the website I got it, it's 6mm deep) and I popped in some moss just to make it look pretty/give it something to hide under.

It's not bothered to burrow or hide, and seems happy out in the open. Should I invest in something like some bark? For it to hide under? Is it maybe just a bit dazed from travel?

I actually also ended up with a T. verdezi too! Which is smaller! I'd say 1-2cm. This little one is in the same set up ---i just misted instead of the water dish as this little one is quite ....little. Anyway, this wee fella has burrowed almost immediately! Will it be happy enough with its burrow or again should I look at some bark? Or is there anything else other's like to use for lightweight/safe for their tarantulas to hide in/under that is small enough for a deli dish? (Length 10.5cm x Width 8.3cm x Depth 5cm)

Thanks in advance!

MBullock

3 Year Member
in the wild tarantulas seek something hard to burrow under, generally. they like a structure for support so it stays stable. A burrowed tarantula is a happy tarantula.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Firstly a T won't drown so if there is room give it a water bowl.
As for a hide, many of mine completely ignore the cork bark I give them often choosing to make their home down the side of their container or often under their water bowl.

MBullock

3 Year Member
As for a hide, many of mine completely ignore the cork bark I give them often choosing to make their home down the side of their container or often under their water bowl.
Mine all have been LOVING the hot glue hides. they seem to like smooth stuff the most. Many tarantulas ARE lithophilous, after all.

Tarantulateeth

Oh thank you so much, I've no idea where I got the idea that they could drown I could have sworn I had read it when I was doing research initially. But I'll definitely pop one in with the T. Verdezi

MBullock

3 Year Member
Oh thank you so much, I've no idea where I got the idea that they could drown I could have sworn I had read it when I was doing research initially. But I'll definitely pop one in with the T. Verdezi
they have a fine layer of fuzz that is waterproof, even if submerged the tarantula can actually live for a long time.

most, even larger tarantulas will generally just float on the surface. the only parts of their body that break surface tension are their fangs and their esophagus. thats why they bite at the water at first when they drink, so they can poke through the surface film and jam their face in.

Blackdog

My T. Blondi enjoying a spa moment
IMG_3721 (1).jpeg

Latest posts