• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi!

jackys

3 Year Member
I've been lurking here for a while and figured it was time to finally make an account and say hello. So, hello! I'm Jacky. I'm pretty new at this and have only been keeping tarantulas for a couple months. It's something I never, EVER thought I'd get into because for most of my life I've been afraid of "bugs." But one day, I was egged into visiting an insectarium with my family. The staff were doing handling demonstrations of various inverts, including an adult female Chilean Rose tarantula named "Rosie." They asked if anyone wanted to hold Rosie and against my better judgement, I volunteered. I'm not sure what I was thinking. My wonderful family had been mocking my fear of bugs all day, so maybe I thought holding a giant spider would shut them up? Anyway, I had expected holding Rosie to be gross or mildly scary, but instead I found myself thinking "Awwwww, how cute!"

Over the next few months, I couldn't stop thinking about that spider. I found myself compulsively reading everything I could find about tarantulas online. When I discovered forums like this one, I decided I really wanted to keep one as a pet. Reading "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" just intensified the urge. When I saw that my neighborhood pet store had a juvenile Chilean Rose for sale, I couldn't resist bringing it home. A while later, I also picked up a juvenile B. hamorii from Jamie's, and now I think I might be hooked.

I'm looking forward to talking with all of you about these awesome little creatures, and hopefully learning a lot. Here are some photos of my two little 8-legged buddies too, just because.

DSC04579.JPG DSC04564.JPG

JDiPaolantonio28

3 Year Member
Hi:) i used to be afraid of spiders as well. I bought my first male G. rosea (Cupid) to get over my fear, he was killed by a female during a breeding attempt, but i have a pic framed of him.

jackys

3 Year Member
Hi:) i used to be afraid of spiders as well. I bought my first male G. rosea (Cupid) to get over my fear, he was killed by a female during a breeding attempt, but i have a pic framed of him.

Aw, sorry Cupid was killed :( My rosehair might be a male, and if so I will probably try to lend him out for breeding when he grows up.

I was checking out your intro thread too, pretty amazing to go from afraid of spiders to keeping black widows! I'm still not quite that brave lol

JDiPaolantonio28

3 Year Member
If rose hair turns out to be a male breeding is always a good idea:) i didnt want mine to die a virgin. He tried though. Black widows are very cool. U should check out the six eyed sand spider, alot more venomous than a black widow, long lived too, i regret selling mine. Ken hasnt had them in a while or i would have bought another.

Latest posts