• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi! Very new at Spider Facination!

kassaykat

I became somewhat obsessed with spiders when I found an Olios Giganteus hanging of the side of my cats water bowl getting a drink. She was probably 2.5”+ across and missing two legs. It surprised even me that instead of being scared I was fascinated with her! And being that I have 10 cats, I feared for her safety. So I put her in a tank and she lived with me even munched a couple of bugs in captivity for a little over 6 weeks I suspect she was towards the end of her lifespan. But I fell in love with her and even though it’s been over a month I’m still heartbroken that she passed. Anyways I’m looking to get a pet Tarantula now that is hardy and lives a long time. I really would prefer a full grown one and not a juvenile. I’ve done some research and decided on the Brazilian Black (Grammostola pulchra) as the best fit. And have been looking. I found one on craigslist (because I’m kind of afraid to have them shipped, and I want a female) that is 10 yrs old and about 5-6 in leg span. They are asking $400. That seems a bit high to me especially when it’s 10 but really have no idea. I’m including a picture that was in the ad. Appreciate any advise. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B302556F-6241-4C89-B3D6-610E4DD45F12.jpeg
    B302556F-6241-4C89-B3D6-610E4DD45F12.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 22

Lentulus

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. The G. Pulchra is on my wish list as well. Gorgeous looking critters.

I took a quick look at one of the big online retailers, and they ask $395 for a 2/12-3 inch female.

How comfortable are you sexing these on your own? I‘m pretty new to the hobby myself but there is no way I can tell sex from that photo.

kassaykat

Hello and welcome to the forum. The G. Pulchra is on my wish list as well. Gorgeous looking critters.

I took a quick look at one of the big online retailers, and they ask $395 for a 2/12-3 inch female.

How comfortable are you sexing these on your own? I‘m pretty new to the hobby myself but there is no way I can tell sex from that photo.
The owner states that it is a confirmed female

Lentulus

3 Year Member
Some of the vets here have kept females for 20+ years. If you feel that you can trust the owner at their word, it may be worth it. I would be paranoid myself of someone I couldn’t reach out and touch spending that kind of money. There’s a lot of great reputable people in this hobby, unfortunately there also a huge financial incentive for the less honest as well.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum and the addiction, @kassaykat

G pulchra is a fine first T and yes, you will pay a premium for an adult female of any species, but if you are okay with the investment then at least you are getting what you want.

Looking forward to your journey

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
To me that is not a bad price if everything is fine. I've seen females a bit younger advertised for more. It takes a long time for these to grow.

Does the price include the housing?

To be honest, I might ask them for more pictures. It sounds like a somewhat difficult decision, though. Delay and you may miss out on a good spider or save yourself from buying a not so good one.

I have two, both about 3-4 inches and even at that stage they are beautiful.

I am personally glad that I started with my two that were 1.5-2". I learned a lot. And for me it, was like buying a puppy vs an adult dog. You love them both, but with a puppy you are watching it grow.

Sorry, I probably have not made your decision any easier.

kassaykat

To me that is not a bad price if everything is fine. I've seen females a bit younger advertised for more. It takes a long time for these to grow.

Does the price include the housing?

To be honest, I might ask them for more pictures. It sounds like a somewhat difficult decision, though. Delay and you may miss out on a good spider or save yourself from buying a not so good one.

I have two, both about 3-4 inches and even at that stage they are beautiful.

I am personally glad that I started with my two that were 1.5-2". I learned a lot. And for me it, was like buying a puppy vs an adult dog. You love them both, but with a puppy you are watching it grow.

Sorry, I probably have not made your decision any easier.
Ha ha! No you have not really, but I am 64, so it might not be a bad idea for me to get an older spider. Frankly the thought of raising a small one makes me nervous actually because I am inexperienced. It seems like a larger one would be easier???

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
An older one may be easier. But it also may be less active. Arachnoclown would be a very good source for this, as well as others.

So I am kind of assuming the enclosure is included, but not sure.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
An older one may be easier. But it also may be less active. Arachnoclown would be a very good source for this, as well as others.

Lol sorry, did not see Arachnoclown had already chimed in.

kassaykat

No it’s not. The enclosure is an additional $100. I have a tank already. That I kept my Crab spider in. It’s 10 gallon. I still need to read up on what is best to put in it.

rapidfire

Ha ha! No you have not really, but I am 64, so it might not be a bad idea for me to get an older spider. Frankly the thought of raising a small one makes me nervous actually because I am inexperienced. It seems like a larger one would be easier???
Part of the fun is watching them grow. Raising slings is probably my favorite part of the hobby. 2”+ G. pulchra are typically pretty hardy and easy to care for.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
There is a variety of substrates that would work, some you can mix yourself ( maybe cheaper) others come premade in many pet stores. Most include coconut fiber but not all.

I have used Creature Soil by Zoo Med and really liked it. I am currently using the Terra Aranea from the Biodude based in Texas, although it is expensive. Reptisoil seems popular too.

Latest posts