• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi I don’t know much about tarantulas and I was wondering how much longer until this little guy molts

Joemaster

image.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is no way to tell right now. The abdomen hasn't turned black in the bald area. The tarantula isn't very big in the abdominal area. Once you see an enlarged abdomen and the bald spot turning black, it shouldn't be too much longer before you get a molt. :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas can keep you waiting quite a long time before they moult... Just a bit of friendly advice I have noticed that the pics you have put up are of your tarantula out of its enclosure? Please don't handle your tarantula - it doesn't understand what's going on and there's a chance you will get bitten and if the tarantula falls whilst handling it could get injured or die... When a tarantula is in premolt it will want to be left alone as it needs to prepare itself to moult, some Bury themselves to do so and some don't - they are very delicate at this time :)

Joemaster

Tarantulas can keep you waiting quite a long time before they moult... Just a bit of friendly advice I have noticed that the pics you have put up are of your tarantula out of its enclosure? Please don't handle your tarantula - it doesn't understand what's going on and there's a chance you will get bitten and if the tarantula falls whilst handling it could get injured or die... When a tarantula is in premolt it will want to be left alone as it needs to prepare itself to moult, some Bury themselves to do so and some don't - they are very delicate at this time :)
Thank you for the good advice

timc

3 Year Member
Looks like some kind of Brachypelma species. Is it still eating? If it’s still accepting food it’s not likely in premolt. While some individuals will eat right up until the day they molt, it’s pretty rare among Brachys in my experience. And i’ll echo @ilovebrachys, excessive handling can lead to a more stressful molt for your tarantula. Plus, I don’t like it when giants rip off my roof and pull me out of my house to stroll over their enormous fingers for 20 minuets, it’s terrible. Spiders don’t like it either.

Joemaster

Looks like some kind of Brachypelma species. Is it still eating? If it’s still accepting food it’s not likely in premolt. While some individuals will eat right up until the day they molt, it’s pretty rare among Brachys in my experience. And i’ll echo @ilovebrachys, excessive handling can lead to a more stressful molt for your tarantula. Plus, I don’t like it when giants rip off my roof and pull me out of my house to stroll over their enormous fingers for 20 minuets, it’s terrible. Spiders don’t like it either.
Ok I will keep that in mind and he / she hasn’t ate in like 2 weeks