• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi guys :)

SarahLouise

3 Year Member
Hi my names Sarah, Just bought my second Tarantula today, A Mexican Red Knee (Already have a 3 year old Chilean) baby :)
So just a quick question to Red Knee owners, what are they like handling? Never handled my Rose as first attempt i made she lifted her legs and backed off, sure as hell wasnt going to try that again! lol
x

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Sarah! Welcome to the boards :) I own a psycho rosie as well lol As for the B.smithi; I don't own one (yet lol), but it really depends on the individual T. I know they can be hair kickers, but I have read quite a few accounts of very docile individuals. Hope he doesn't join your Rosie in the crazy club lol.

SarahLouise

3 Year Member
Hi Sarah! Welcome to the boards :) I own a psycho rosie as well lol As for the B.smithi; I don't own one (yet lol), but it really depends on the individual T. I know they can be hair kickers, but I have read quite a few accounts of very docile individuals. Hope he doesn't join your Rosie in the crazy club lol.

Haha! She has her own issues, doesnt even like it when i clean her out or put her fresh water in! lol.
Gonna get my B.smithi out later i think, see how i get on :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WTTB!
B.Smithi are usually pretty handleable (there's always an exception to every rule) they will kick however. Adults are usually more mellow than younger individuals. I personally advise against handling any tarantula, but if you do, Red Knees are a pretty tolerable species

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would like all the newer folks to keep in mind, that just like people, ALL species of critters, from tiny inverts to the largest of the whales, can vary from the temperament you read they may have online. These should be used as guide lines. I am sure you will find someone who swears a certain "aggressive" or "defensive" specie is the sweetest of his critters, and the most typically docile of species is his meanest.

I, for one, would love to meet a love bug of a king baboon or even an OBT...

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would like all the newer folks to keep in mind, that just like people, ALL species of critters, from tiny inverts to the largest of the whales, can vary from the temperament you read they may have online. These should be used as guide lines. I am sure you will find someone who swears a certain "aggressive" or "defensive" specie is the sweetest of his critters, and the most typically docile of species is his meanest.

I, for one, would love to meet a love bug of a king baboon or even an OBT...

I have one :D

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yet another reason for me to venture to AZ...don't be surprised if you get a visit from me this coming winter...my hubby gets 2 weeks off between Capitalist-mas and the new year and I will be out of school for winter break....

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi my names Sarah, Just bought my second Tarantula today, A Mexican Red Knee (Already have a 3 year old Chilean) baby :)
So just a quick question to Red Knee owners, what are they like handling? Never handled my Rose as first attempt i made she lifted her legs and backed off, sure as hell wasnt going to try that again! lol
x
Congratulations I am nuts about red knees I think they are one of the most beautiful things in the world. I have 4 small slings and a slighy bigger one. 2 of the small ones hide a lot but the others are always out and about i reallyove them. I can see a few more joining my collevtion before im much older! Wish you all the best with your one do you know the age and if male or female ?

Tguy

3 Year Member
WTTB!
B.Smithi are usually pretty handleable (there's always an exception to every rule) they will kick however. Adults are usually more mellow than younger individuals. I personally advise against handling any tarantula, but if you do, Red Knees are a pretty tolerable species

Hi sarah and welcome to TF...great 2nd choice :) i'm with kenny 100%....but if you must be careful you are putting your T's life at risk and not to metion you a bite ..ouch!...lol ...i'm just waiting for my girl to molt so she can go on a date with my boy :)

SarahLouise

3 Year Member
Congratulations I am nuts about red knees I think they are one of the most beautiful things in the world. I have 4 small slings and a slighy bigger one. 2 of the small ones hide a lot but the others are always out and about i reallyove them. I can see a few more joining my collevtion before im much older! Wish you all the best with your one do you know the age and if male or female ?

Unfortunatly the Reptile store i got him from couldn't really tell me anything! Other than he had been there 3 weeks and was unsure of the sex ( though i keep reffering to it as a 'he' ) so until he molts it will be a male lol
looking at him though he cant be much older than a few months! so tiny and cute :)