• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi from Oregon!

LifeinStasis

3 Year Member
Hello!

Brand new tarantula owner here. Just got my first one (Honduran curly hair) yesterday, and I'm so excited. He's a juvenile, I think, with a legspan of about 5 inches, if I had to guess? I haven't actually sat down and measured it. He's bigger than my palm, but I've got small hands. :)

I grew up in Minnesota catching wild spiders as a kid (usually funnel webs or jumping spiders) and keeping and feeding them in plastic containers. (I would have to catch bugs for them too!) I find spiders absolutely fascinating, even though I used to be deathly terrified of them. I'm 27 now, living on the West Coast, and this is my first actual pet spider.

In the past, I've also raised all kinds of dogs, tropical fish, some cats, a bearded dragon, iguana, and leopard gecko. All I have besides the tarantula now is the iguana (the others were in Minnesota) and by comparison, tarantula care is too easy.

I thought it was a good idea to sign up for a forum though, in case I needed help, as I'm sure I will. I'm also still in contact with the specialty pet shop I bought it from. There is surprisingly little information on the web about specific tarantula species, so a forum would be a good place to ask questions or bring up any concerns I have.

I look forward to learning a few new things!

LifeinStasis

3 Year Member
Thank you! Why yes I do. Here's a couple I got of my new buddy.

jRjzPhV.jpg

And another for size reference. Again I have small hands. Also I know the cage is a bit cold. I was still fiddling with the heating. He's at a comfortable 73 about right now.

HIPreoJ.jpg

Tguy

3 Year Member
very nice T :)... but pine shavings is a huge no no get her off asap ....pine and cedar are toxic to T's get her on atleast 4-6 inches of some ecoearth or peat..

LifeinStasis

3 Year Member
It's actually cypress mulch, which I picked because it holds moisture so well. Toby (that's his name) has already started to burrow in it.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards! You have a lovely spider :) I also agree, ditch the mulch!

Latest posts