• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hi all - new here

Troy Hibbitts

3 Year Member
unid.tarantula.mx.nuevoleon.07.1a.jpg

(I wish this were in my collection - Clavopelma tamaulipeca - August 2007, NL, MX)

I've long been a herp guy who kept a few T's and scorpions, but in the past 2 years or so, my T collection has expanded such that I'm finding that I desire more interaction amongst other T keepers, etc, so here I am.

I live in SW TX (Brackettville) and my primary T interests involve US and Mexican species - I currently have in my collection:

Brachypelma vagans (MF)
Brachypelma smithi (subadult F)
Brachypelma albipilosum (1" spiderling)
Aphonopelma moderatum (subadult F + 2 slings)
Aphonopelma chalcodes (MF and subadult F)
Aphonopelma anax (subadult F, 2" male)
Aphonopelma hentzi (1.3 adults)
Aphonopelma voheisi (subadult F)
Aphonopelma marxi (sling)
Aphonopelma eutenylum (subadult F)
Aphonopelma iodius (probable subadult M)
Aphonopelma gabeli (probable subadult M)
Aphonopelma xwalxwal (MF)
Aphonopelma paloma (unsexed, probable subadult F)
Aphonopelma mareki (unexed, probable subadult F)
Grammostola rosea (sling)
Nhandu carapoensis (2 slings)
Haplocosmia himalayana (sling)

Diplocentrous whitei adult
Diplocentrous spitzeri adult
Hadrurus arizonensis adult
Magistoproctus giganteus adult

currently, I'd like to expand that collection a bit to include more Brachypelma, as well as a few other things from the Old World (Africa/Australia). As you can see from what I'm keeping, I'm mostly into terrestrials - just don't like the looks of those lanky arboreals much LOL.

Troy

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Troy, welcome to the forum. That's a great collection you have.:)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum!:)
You have a very nice collection.
Also nice to live in a state where you can go looking for Ts (to photograph, or keep, or observe, etc.). No such luck where I am located.

Troy Hibbitts

3 Year Member
Aphonopelma xwalxwal: love the name!!!!

Welcome here! I also love Brachys but don't have much... you need Brachypelma klaasi: one of my very favorite!
18d28ed505571a887d4d54340f92d691.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

B.klaasi and B.boehmei are tops on my list of Ts to add to the collection (along with Cotztelana and a couple of SE AZ A.marxi group species)

Troy

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a very nice Aphonopelma collection, I'm envious! How is the moderatum? I'm going after them very soon, I live south of San Antonio in Jourdanton. I'm hoping in captivity they behave like my anax...pretty much like Brachypelma, they don't even try to hide.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the Group Troy.........................LC72UK:):T:
I`m Green with envy at the moment, you have a Moderatum, that`s top of my list and has been for a year, cannot get them in the UK .

Troy Hibbitts

3 Year Member
My moderatum group spiders (moderatum+gabeli) seem a touch more nervous/flighty than my hentzi group (anax+hentzi) spiders ... but I'm not sure if that's not age-related (my moderatum is subadult, my hentzi are all adults).

Looking for A.armada today (along with searching for herps)

Troy

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
Welcome! I just started keeping Ts last fall with an A chalcodes that I collected. I got A paloma in November. I've really enjoyed both and hope to collect a few more species as I have opportunity. The A paloma has really been interesting, I'd be curious to hear from you about yours!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My moderatum group spiders (moderatum+gabeli) seem a touch more nervous/flighty than my hentzi group (anax+hentzi) spiders ... but I'm not sure if that's not age-related (my moderatum is subadult, my hentzi are all adults).

Looking for A.armada today (along with searching for herps)

Troy
Stan said in his book that moderatum bit him more than any other sp. Not that it means much, a lot of these guys will pick them up rather than let them escape. I'm sure it was purely defensive. I will however, take heed when I go hunting them. I'm going to be ordering a plumbers camera very soon, should get some good images on it. I hope..

Troy Hibbitts

3 Year Member
Sonorantree - right now, my Paloma is in a small container with lots of substrate - and it spends most of its time in its burrows. I intend to move it/her up to a larger container in the next few days . . .

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
My A paloma is all over the place. She has a nice burrow system, but is out of it about half the time. Sometimes she sits up on the sidewalls of the container for a day or so. Some days she wanders all over. She has been a good eater until last week when she left a small cricket in the enclosure for several days (I took it out). I have her in a medium/juvenile cage from Jamies (4"x4"x5" high) that has substrate about 3-4" deep.

Latest posts