• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

heyy. just got my first tarantula today..

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome choice! Tell us a bit about your enclosure, and how you are plan to feed your T, manage it's humidity and water needs, etc.

That will give us somewhere to start.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
Awesome choice! Tell us a bit about your enclosure, and how you are plan to feed your T, manage it's humidity and water needs, etc.

That will give us somewhere to start.
i actually have no idea. haha. i keep him in a 5 gallon aquarium. with soil and stuff. haha. i googled things first before i got him. :D today i fed him 2 pieces of small roaches. about the size of a pinky nail. :)) i'm planning on feeding him twice a week because that's what my friend who gave me this T. and always put clean water. i don't know about the humidity. haha.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How big is it?
If it's no longer a baby, it doesn't need much humidity. They like it dry. The water bowl is all you will need.
If it is a baby it needs to be in something much smaller.
the substrate should be eco-earth, or Peat moss. Some soils have toxic components in them that can kill spiders.
WTTB

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
How big is it?
If it's no longer a baby, it doesn't need much humidity. They like it dry. The water bowl is all you will need.
If it is a baby it needs to be in something much smaller.
the substrate should be eco-earth, or Peat moss. Some soils have toxic components in them that can kill spiders.
WTTB
Pictures of your t and her enclosure will help us to help you. Welcome :)

well, have a look. ;) (he's in a 5 gallon tank.) i still don't know his length because i don't know how to measure. hoho. and i'm still kinda scared of him. :oops:
529893_565205030157478_224049452_n.jpg

529893_565205030157478_224049452_n.jpg
149463_565205046824143_1212957265_n.jpg

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would remove the branch...tarantulas can be killed by a fall no longer than their legspan...it looks nice though.

What kind of "dirt" is that? I wouldn't use any thing you dug up as it could have microscopic bugs or fungi that could hurt your T...if you are using potting soil also be warned as it can have chemicals that can also harm your T.

Eco-Earth or coco coir are best.

Does she have a water dish? If not she needs a shallow one. A T's lungs are on their bellies so it needs to be shallow so she ones drown. I use pop bottle caps for many of mine.

Hope this helps and welcome!

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A hide would be good too. Small potted plant pots are great if you cut them in half.

And you measure a T diagonally...like from the leg on the left to the back most leg on the right.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
i bought the soil from a garden. they told me the soil doesn't have anything "special". just regular soil. and yeah, i cut a small pot in half and put it on the other side of the tank. he just doesn't seem to go there. haha. i just't couldn't take a picture of the whole tank because the light jsut reflects and the camera wouldn't get anything.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would totally change out the soil. There are microscopic things that can hurt him like fungus or tiny bugs or even chemicals.

Latest posts