• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hey!

gognomie

How you doing?
I've actually been lurking here for months just reading and absorbing, I'm fairly new to the hobby when I picked up a couple of slings at the BTS show in May after years of keeping phasmids.
I'd got it into my head that tarantulas were something crazy to keep but I kept looking and longing at every invert show and turns out compared to my phasmid collection they're a breeze and now I'm a little obsessed and have 9.
My boyfriend is also arachnophobic but he's supporting me wholeheartedly and he's coming around and developing his own, albeit hands-off for the time being, obsession now he's realizing that they're just tiny little animals that want good food and to feel safe. Same as me!

Also n.incei and dwarves in general are underrated.

Last edited:

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to posting here. My daughter (aged 20) was not at all happy when I got my first T. Now she has several herself. Like your boyfriend it was learning about them that changed her mind about arachnids.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum :)
I agree with you about the dwarf Ts.. They are a favourite of mine and incei's are great Ts to keep beautiful and amazing little webbers... Good start to your collection which will be sure to grow :)

gognomie

Hi and welcome. :)
Many of us here were arachnophobes and are now addicted and you are so right about the dwarf Ts being overlooked.
I honestly get the appeal of the big, beefy spider, one of my first juvies was an a.genic (and it's great, it's got so much personality) but I got an n.incei in a mystery box and the little guy is turning into such a stunner and a fantastic display spider. it really won me over. I got a hapalopus sp colombia large next after falling in love with one at the butterfly farm.

gognomie

Hello and welcome to the forum :)
I agree with you about the dwarf Ts.. They are a favourite of mine and incei's are great Ts to keep beautiful and amazing little webbers... Good start to your collection which will be sure to grow :)

They make their tanks so interesting, they're the full package to me, beautiful colours, great interior decoration and on display pretty often, like a GBB but smaller and get their adult colours pretty early on.
I can't see myself having a huge amount of spiders but I'd sort of like to build a collection of dwarves.

gognomie

Welcome to posting here. My daughter (aged 20) was not at all happy when I got my first T. Now she has several herself. Like your boyfriend it was learning about them that changed her mind about arachnids.
I was worried about approaching him with the idea of getting a T but honestly, he was down from the get-go. We have zero intention of handling and he's not quite down for feeding or watering them yet, but I did see him comparing his hand to the a.genic's leg span through the side of the tank which is a big step. We're both 'forever students' so we enjoy researching them together more than anything.
He's amazing with the phasmids though.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We do not handle ours either. So my daughter brought herself a Paying Mantis & occasionally handles that. I had never seen Mantids as being interesting, but I really liked one I saw, so started reading about them & now I have a few Mantids too.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the group. While dwarfs are underrated they may not help a arachnophobic overcome their fear. Many can be extremely fast and flighty...just keep that in mind.;)

gognomie

Welcome to the group. While dwarfs are underrated they may not help a arachnophobic overcome their fear. Many can be extremely fast and flighty...just keep that in mind.;)
Funny you should say that as my BF says he much prefers the larger ones, the bigger the better, he can see what they're up to and whilst I love him dearly, I'm not ready for anything with 'theraphosa' in its name.

Latest posts